• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why Did My Guinea Pig Die So Young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipsqueaking

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I had 3 guinea pigs, they were all brothers from the same litter. They were all different sizes, one is very big and heavy, the other is just right and likes to play and Pipsqueak (who sadly died not so long ago) has always been very small and delicate. They're all a year and they live in my room, I give them clean water everyday (as they like to drink a lot) I give them dry food, hay and vegetables, when I clean them out I even let them run around my room for an hour. Pipsqueak who died has always been the baby, when we got him my mum and I knew he was the runt. He got along fine with his brothers and they were all very active. Until I gave them all a hair cut (they are long-haired piggies) a few weeks ago and I noticed the size difference. Pipsqueak was half the size as the biggest but I hadn't weighed them because everything seemed to be fine. He was eating fine, running around and still squeaking. The day before he died he was very quiet, I knew something was wrong. I cleaned their home and when the two eldest were running around and munching on carrots, Pipsqueak just stood beside me. I came back on the night and Pipsqueak was laying on his side twitching. I picked him up and tried to stroke him but his head was tilting back and I couldn't hold him properly. I got help and put him on my bed to check but he couldn't stand up, it was like he was having a stroke or a fit. We tried to give him water but he wasn't taking anything. I kept on holding him and we called a 24 hour vet but the cost was so much and it was obvious he was close to death. I decided the best thing to do was to let him die in my arms and everyone stroking him. I just wanted to know what could have caused it as the others are fine and happy. I know the weight loss was a big thing but I looked into it and different sources said different things, by then it was too late anyway. My mum said it could have been an infection or a heart problem. He was the weakest and most vulnerable but I can't stop blaming myself for not doing anything before. I don't know if you know anything that young guinea pigs die from or what this sounds like. Thanks :ple:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Horrible for a piggy to die so young. I can't really work out exactly why he died so young, but it seems being the runt would have been a big factor. Runts often don't last long and if they do are vulnerable to heart problems etc and most have special needs. Considering he was healthy before he died you did the right thing . Did he lose weight or was he always small? Don't blame yourself, runts are lovely but so fragile and it's heart breaking when they pass so early.

Thank you for your advice, my mum did say he is probably special needed as he was not the brightest of the 3. He lost weight I think but whenever I gave him food he ate it in front of me. I sometimes took him out of his home to feed him as I thought the two bigger ones might be stealing his food. He got very skinny just before he died but he has always been tiny.

Thank you for your advice, my mum did say he is probably special needed as he was not the brightest of the 3. He lost weight I think but whenever I gave him food he ate it in front of me. I sometimes took him out of his home to feed him as I thought the two bigger ones might be stealing his food. He got very skinny just before he died but he has always been tiny.
Sometimes thats just the way they go. Popcorn free little one. x

I had 3 guinea pigs, they were all brothers from the same litter. They were all different sizes, one is very big and heavy, the other is just right and likes to play and Pipsqueak (who sadly died not so long ago) has always been very small and delicate. They're all a year and they live in my room, I give them clean water everyday (as they like to drink a lot) I give them dry food, hay and vegetables, when I clean them out I even let them run around my room for an hour. Pipsqueak who died has always been the baby, when we got him my mum and I knew he was the runt. He got along fine with his brothers and they were all very active. Until I gave them all a hair cut (they are long-haired piggies) a few weeks ago and I noticed the size difference. Pipsqueak was half the size as the biggest but I hadn't weighed them because everything seemed to be fine. He was eating fine, running around and still squeaking. The day before he died he was very quiet, I knew something was wrong. I cleaned their home and when the two eldest were running around and munching on carrots, Pipsqueak just stood beside me. I came back on the night and Pipsqueak was laying on his side twitching. I picked him up and tried to stroke him but his head was tilting back and I couldn't hold him properly. I got help and put him on my bed to check but he couldn't stand up, it was like he was having a stroke or a fit. We tried to give him water but he wasn't taking anything. I kept on holding him and we called a 24 hour vet but the cost was so much and it was obvious he was close to death. I decided the best thing to do was to let him die in my arms and everyone stroking him. I just wanted to know what could have caused it as the others are fine and happy. I know the weight loss was a big thing but I looked into it and different sources said different things, by then it was too late anyway. My mum said it could have been an infection or a heart problem. He was the weakest and most vulnerable but I can't stop blaming myself for not doing anything before. I don't know if you know anything that young guinea pigs die from or what this sounds like. Thanks :ple:

I am very sorry for your unexpected loss. It is always difficult to say what exactly caused his death without a proper postmortem examination, but it must have been very upsetting for you to see him fitting like that, which can unfortunately happen sometimes when the body is closing down. Sadly, illness, stroke and acute heart failure can happen at any age. Some guinea pigs are born with a time bomb in their heart that can go off at any time.

You are very welcome to post a tribute to Pipsqueak in our Rainbow Bridge section if and whenever it feels right for you.

These threads here may help you to look after Pipsqueak's brothers well, so you know how to spot any signs of illness promptly, but also know when and how quickly you need to seek vet care. You are a caring person, so please don't feel too badly and concentrate on caring for his brothers as best as you can!
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
Early Signs Of Illness
Should my piggie see a vet? - a quick guide

Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes they just die young. Sorry for your loss x

I also had one die quite young at around a year-and-a-half, and her's appeared to be a heart attack (I saw it happen but could only watch helplessly). She was also small, but had appeared to be healthy prior. It's hard to know whether your piggy had a heart problem, but it sounds likely that he was born with an issue that would eventually cause something in his body to fail.
I'm so very sorry, it is a hard thing to see, and of course you will miss him.

On a practical note (my apologies at this difficult time, I don't know if you have had any thoughts on this) it is best to leave the two remaining brothers together as a pair (assuming all three had lived together). It is easy to think that they will miss their brother and want another companion, and whilst they are likely to miss him, they are not likely to accept a new guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back