• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Xeno 450 - Correct Dosage For Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I went to my local vets yesterday evening as I am under the suspicision that my piggys have mange mites.

Anyway, to cut a long story short the vet eventually prescribed me Xeno 450 to treat my piggys with.

The vet said for the weights of my two guinea pigs which are - 1090g and 1120g, I need to give about just over 3/4 of the pipette.

As the instructions advise 1 pipette for guinea pigs 1.2kg.
There is 450ug of ivermectin in one pipette and each drop will provide 22.5ug of ivermectin.

Anyway, I'm a little unsure how many drops to administer as my piggys are under 1.2kg. 1090g and 1120g.

There are 20 drops per pipette, so I'm assuming 1200g divided by 20 drops gives 60g.
So it's one drop per 60 g of guinea pig.
So to calculate how much I need for the weights of my guinea pigs I would divide each of the weights of the guiena pigs by 60 to give me the total number of drops.

Which comes out at roughly 18 drops per guinea pig.

That is what the vet said is just over 3/4 of the pipette.

Could someone tell me whether or not I have calculated this correctly.

Does 18 drops sound right to you as I do not want to give the wrong amount.

Thanks

Give about 17/18 drops per piggy; that is fine. If you miscount, just go by eye and leave a small bit in the pipette if necessary. ;)

I have been washing their fleece bedding daily at 90 degrees, and disinfecting the cage with F10.
Am I doing enough to clean their surroundings?
Or do I need some special mite treament for the fleece bedding?

I have been washing their fleece bedding daily at 90 degrees, and disinfecting the cage with F10.
Am I doing enough to clean their surroundings?
Or do I need some special mite treament for the fleece bedding?

Washing at that temp will kill bugs mites & bacteria. F10 is the best disinfectant. If you have any wooden items please soak them in F10 or destroy them as spores can live on wooden items. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing all you can reasonably do.

Washing at that temp will kill bugs mites & bacteria. F10 is the best disinfectant. If you have any wooden items please soak them in F10 or destroy them as spores can live on wooden items. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing all you can reasonably do.

I also have fleece hideys/ snuggle sacks/ tunnels in their cage.

Would it be best to remove them for the duration of the treament, or will washing daily at 90 degrees do the trick?

I also have fleece hideys/ snuggle sacks/ tunnels in their cage.

Would it be best to remove them for the duration of the treament, or will washing daily at 90 degrees do the trick?

It's fine to keep them in and washing at high temp will kill the mites/spores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back