Young Wheat Grass Sugary?

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

So I have been interested in giving our girl fresh wheat grass so last week I bought her a tray of it from our local organic store (already grown) and she absolutely loves it. I was hoping to give her this mostly throughout the day as I heard fresh grass is better for them than hay nutrients wise but when I inquired about this further on another forum someone said thought that wheat grass when grown like this is higher in sugar as it’s so young. Is this true? If so how can I get it to mature more so not as sugary?
I still plan to put her on hay in morning and evening.

Thanks so much

Hello welcome to the Forum! I don't know about the wheat grass but what I do know is they should have an unlimited supply of hay and be able to eat as much of it as they want. Hay should form around 80% of food intake so please allow your piggy access to it at all times. My 5 piggies have hay, hay and more hay and they absolutely love it. In the summer when they are out on the grass they still have access to hay. It is good for their tummies and their teeth,

I agree with Betsy.
Hay is very important as I don't think fresh wheat grass would be abrasive enough to keep their teeth trim if it was fed as the main part of their diet.
I tend to view things like this as part of their fresh veg ration, so combined with other veggies it should equal about one cup per day per pig.

So I would add a small amount of wheat grass to her veggie ration, and give large piles of unlimited hay daily.

Ok! I'll make sure the hay keeps on comin':D! I've heard of people who kept their pigs on solely grass that did fine and lived long lives BUT I think they were really chomping through pounds of grass outside like small tiny cows and I think that's why it kept their teeth in good condition.

As far as the sugar content, does anyone know if it really is more sweet?

Thanks so much! :)

Young grass is higher in sugar, yep - that's all grass, not just wheat shoots. It's one of the reasons why when I'm giving my piggies grass I prefer to cut them longer more mature bits, rather than new shoots. Grass in general (new shoots and older leaves) is lower in sugar at night than during the day though (sugar is produced during photosynthesis, and when it's dark the plant can't do that), so if you only have young shoots available it's best to cut them at night.

Back