• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

11 Month Old Boars Fighting Phase - Advice Needed

pag1988

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie here!

My 2 boars, Grumps and Fluff, are going through a bit of a difficult time at the moment. About 2 months ago they went through what I think was their teenage hormonal stage. They were rumbling, chattering their teeth and had a few scuffles but nothing too serious and no blood was drawn. I separated them for a day or two and re-introduced them and all was good again.

After this phase I decided to move them out of their current cage (which admittedly was a bit on the small side) into a 2 x 5 C&C grid cage and they seemed very happy. Last night, I heard an unfamiliar squeal coming from their room. When I went to check they were suddenly fighting again after being fine for 2 months. I separated them again - Fluff seemed happy enough to be left alone however Grumps was wheeking like mad in the other cage and throwing himself against the cage bars. I was worried about leaving him this morning but I had to go to work.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior from 2 boars? I am a first time guinea pig owner so this is all new to me. I am very stressed about it all and I'm sure my 2 boys are as well. I really don't want to rehome them. Am I doing something wrong? I have also tried bathing them together after seeing this idea suggested online however it didn't work, if anything they got worse!

Please help!

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

Newbie here!

My 2 boars, Grumps and Fluff, are going through a bit of a difficult time at the moment. About 2 months ago they went through what I think was their teenage hormonal stage. They were rumbling, chattering their teeth and had a few scuffles but nothing too serious and no blood was drawn. I separated them for a day or two and re-introduced them and all was good again.

After this phase I decided to move them out of their current cage (which admittedly was a bit on the small side) into a 2 x 5 C&C grid cage and they seemed very happy. Last night, I heard an unfamiliar squeal coming from their room. When I went to check they were suddenly fighting again after being fine for 2 months. I separated them again - Fluff seemed happy enough to be left alone however Grumps was wheeking like mad in the other cage and throwing himself against the cage bars. I was worried about leaving him this morning but I had to go to work.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior from 2 boars? I am a first time guinea pig owner so this is all new to me. I am very stressed about it all and I'm sure my 2 boys are as well. I really don't want to rehome them. Am I doing something wrong? I have also tried bathing them together after seeing this idea suggested online however it didn't work, if anything they got worse!

Please help!

Thank you!

Hi and welcome!

The teenage months last from around 4-14 months until boars reach a hormonally more settled phase. The teenage months are not constantly high on testosterone; it usually happens in spikes although the time around 8-10 months is often one of regular winding up the partner.

Please take the time to read this guide here. It is very detailed and tells you exactly how you can try to re-introduce your boars once they have settled down again to see whether they will go back together. I usually prefer to leave that for a day or two to allow hormones and tempers to settle down.
It also gives you options if your boys won't get on anymore.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Can't add to the advice above, just wanted to say how lovely it is for you to join us here

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee

Hello Lee and Wiebke!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

I am at my wits end at the moment so hopefully the nice people on this forum can give me some advice and tell me a bit about their experience with fighting boars! Hopefully they will still be friends at the end of all this!

Hello Lee and Wiebke!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

I am at my wits end at the moment so hopefully the nice people on this forum can give me some advice and tell me a bit about their experience with fighting boars! Hopefully they will still be friends at the end of all this!

Have a read through the guide link I have given you. It is a compilation of what can work and what does not work from years of dealing with struggling and fighting boars on this forum, including what measures you can take to try and keep them together if that is possible. There is unfortunately no magic wand that can make piggies stay together, but there are ways you can remove potential flash points and bones of contention. The guide also gives tips on how to conduct re-introductions for best possible success.
The guide is much more informative and detailed than anybody can pack into one post, but it should answer many of your questions and give you a number of options on how to proceed. ;)

Since we have members from all over the world we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is available, doable and relevant where your are straight away. As you can imagine, climate, access to vets and rescues as well as brands can vary enormously, but they can all influence our recommendations when we are working out the best individual way forward with a member and the way how we give our advice. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear on the left of every post. Thank you!

Back