• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

kyra01

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I bought a guinea pig a couple weeks ago. We decided to get him a new friend today. Tupac is the one we had for a couple of weeks and is 1 and Biggie, the one we got today, is a little younger.

They were introduced and Tupac immediately starting mounting him. We eventually put them in the cage together and Biggie is more so timid with us. Tupac follows Biggie everywhere and tries mounting him. They’ve been sleeping together in the same hideout. Tupac seems much happier with a friend now and isn’t as timid with us as much as before.

I’m a little worried because Biggie isn’t really eating much. I’m just wondering if their behavior is normal as they get to know each other or If I should be worried. Any other tips or suggest would be great!

First things are to make sure their cage is big enough and only have hides with two exits. Two of everything - bowl, bottle, hides, hay feeding stations.

After bonding, it can take a further two weeks for them to settle their hierarchy. Jumping and mounting are all mild dominance behaviours.

You say Biggie doesn’t appear to be eating much - do you mean hay? You can’t tell unless you weigh weekly. Also how old is he?He is very new and will need time to settle in. I would cover the cage with a blanket or something and just leave him to settle in for at least a week.

It would have been better to quarantine him for two weeks (if he’s over four months of age) before introducing him. He also would have had time to settle in. Did you double check that he is a he?

:agr:
Mounting is entirely normal. Piggies will do it a lot during the initial stages of building their relationship and their teens (4-14 months of age). It is something they will do their entire lives though but it does settle down.

Two boars need a cage of 6ft x 2ft/180cm x 60cm. Lack of space can cause problems within their relationship (although character compatibility comes first in a successful long term bond)

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Cage Size Guide
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

My boyfriend and I bought a guinea pig a couple weeks ago. We recently got him a new friend. Tupac is the one we had for a couple of weeks and is 1 and Biggie, the one we got today, is a little younger.

They were introduced and Tupac immediately starting mounting him. We eventually put them in the cage together and Biggie is more so timid with us. Tupac follows Biggie everywhere and tries mounting him, but Tupac seems much happier with a friend. They’ve been sleeping together/cuddling in the same hideout. Is this normal so soon? I didn’t think they would bond so quickly.

The cage we have is big enough and there is two of everything. I’m just wondering if their behavior is normal as they get to know each other or If I should be worried. Any other tips or suggest would be great!

My boyfriend and I bought a guinea pig a couple weeks ago. We recently got him a new friend. Tupac is the one we had for a couple of weeks and is 1 and Biggie, the one we got today, is a little younger.

They were introduced and Tupac immediately starting mounting him. We eventually put them in the cage together and Biggie is more so timid with us. Tupac follows Biggie everywhere and tries mounting him, but Tupac seems much happier with a friend. They’ve been sleeping together/cuddling in the same hideout. Is this normal so soon? I didn’t think they would bond so quickly.

The cage we have is big enough and there is two of everything. I’m just wondering if their behavior is normal as they get to know each other or If I should be worried. Any other tips or suggest would be great!

Hi!

Their behaviour is normal. Some bondings go a lot easier than others; it all depends on mutual liking and personality compatibility/balance. Your two are obviously very happy to found each other.

Please read our bonding guide, which covers the whole process in detail until the end of the dominance phase ca. 2 weeks after the introduction when the new group in finally fully established. It also also contains a chapter on boar bonding.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Please also read the responses to your other similar thread. I have asked for them to be merged.

Back