• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boremomma4

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please someone help me. I’ve my same boys for almost a year, Felix and Rufus. I think it was a bad idea in the beginning to take in 2 more bores just yesterday.... I couldn’t tell myself no though because these ones where severely neglected; both 3 year olds who never had their nails trimmed EVER :( there was even alge somehow growing in the water bottle the lady gave me, they’d been put in a cage and forgotten about. Anyways my two boys flipped out and started the rumble strut with each other Felix was trying to mount Rufus, he flipped around and they started full on fighting! I grabbed him up so fast, he got bit on the cheek and kept rolling his little tongue around in his mouth .. there was a good amount of blood. He’s okay now. The first horrible fight these brothers has ever had I was SO scared !. They are all separated now. The new boys didn’t know what to do because they are very socially awkward , they didn’t challenge my boys. Felix and Rufus think they BOTH got to be billy bad ass which is a huge problem. It’s a big mess. Please someone help me omg this breaks my heart that this happened between my own boys, they always was gotten on each other’s nerves and argued here and there but it was just normal. Not how this was ;vicious and aggressive!

Attachments

• 7077D223-5601-4F94-AA02-162EBB978AC0.jpeg
    7077D223-5601-4F94-AA02-162EBB978AC0.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 4E186623-39E2-4350-B7ED-8E28B0F1510F.jpeg
    4E186623-39E2-4350-B7ED-8E28B0F1510F.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 7A68C4CC-80A5-4BAF-86B9-9EBE30EF6706.jpeg
    7A68C4CC-80A5-4BAF-86B9-9EBE30EF6706.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 01B0DFD1-DCCB-44FB-A8C6-733A4618583C.jpeg
    01B0DFD1-DCCB-44FB-A8C6-733A4618583C.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ED90F1A6-E214-402D-8F16-2F698AB9B16E.jpeg
    ED90F1A6-E214-402D-8F16-2F698AB9B16E.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 10
Oh bless. So glad you have the new boys. Poor babies. Groups of 3 or more boys often don't work out. Do you have the space to keep them seperately? Are both pairs ok with each other now?

Oh dear. What a same

Well firstly any new piggies should definitely be in quarantine to see if there are any signs of illness and kept aware from your current piggies. Your new boys are going to need a period of settling in anyway, and as you've seen, get them fully MOT'd including their poor nails clipped back and since they haven't been done, it's going to be an awkward thing for them to have done. But a nice treat afterwards will encourage them to not worry to having it done again in the future.

As mentioned above, it really isn't going to be any good in bonding all 4 boars together as it will only upset the two pairs and will potentially cause all sorts of problems going forward.

The smell of the new boars will definitely be a factor to your existing boars fight, the smell of your new chaps will cause the issue and I find boars more pungent than females. So a good separation and ventilation is required.

Good luck

Oh bless. So glad you have the new boys. Poor babies. Groups of 3 or more boys often don't work out. Do you have the space to keep them seperately? Are both pairs ok with each other now?

I am glad too. It makes me so mad when people lose interest and let the animals suffer for the humans stupidity. Yes the folks gave me this giant cage and I have my boys barn cage. And very sadly no.. the new ones was and have been totally okay. It’s my boys I’ve had since they were born, the brothers that hate each other’s guts! Omg it makes me so sad. I am away until tomorrow and had to bring Felix with me in their pet carrier. I’m scared they will never be alright with each other again. 😢

Oh dear. What a same

Well firstly any new piggies should definitely be in quarantine to see if there are any signs of illness and kept aware from your current piggies. Your new boys are going to need a period of settling in anyway, and as you've seen, get them fully MOT'd including their poor nails clipped back and since they haven't been done, it's going to be an awkward thing for them to have done. But a nice treat afterwards will encourage them to not worry to having it done again in the future.

As mentioned above, it really isn't going to be any good in bonding all 4 boars together as it will only upset the two pairs and will potentially cause all sorts of problems going forward.

The smell of the new boars will definitely be a factor to your existing boars fight, the smell of your new chaps will cause the issue and I find boars more pungent than females. So a good separation and ventilation is required.

Good luck

I would keep them all separated for a day or so until things calm down. Then your two other piggy’s felix and rufus you could try introducing them again, check out the thread on introductions. Putting all 4 together is not an option, I think that is clear from what’s happened with felix and rufus. They will potentially kill each other! I would get any injuries checked out by a vet also, and an MOT for the new boys.

I am glad too. It makes me so mad when people lose interest and let the animals suffer for the humans stupidity. Yes the folks gave me this giant cage and I have my boys barn cage. And very sadly no.. the new ones was and have been totally okay. It’s my boys I’ve had since they were born, the brothers that hate each other’s guts! Omg it makes me so sad. I am away until tomorrow and had to bring Felix with me in their pet carrier. I’m scared they will never be alright with each other again. 😢
Do check out the introductions thread. It’s really helpful.
It will be because their territory was threatened, they have an excellent sense of smell and could probably smell the boys you brought home as you were walking into the house.

Welcome to the forum and well done for taking the 2 neglected boys in.
They will at least have the gift of a loving and caring home.
Can’t add to the advice given but you will find friendly support here

Yes alright I’ve done that. I clipped their nails and felt bad because the poor little guys was so scared. I knew before I got them there was definitely going to be problems because my boys are spoiled rotten and I guess it’s their turf. They are so young and hyper. Yesss you are so right my bores have a wicked smell ! I change their bedding before it hits a full week because they stink. I brought Felix, one of my original boys with me to my aunts in his pet carrier. I’m nervous for when I come home to see if they still hate each other 😞

Please someone help me. I’ve my same boys for almost a year, Felix and Rufus. I think it was a bad idea in the beginning to take in 2 more bores just yesterday.... I couldn’t tell myself no though because these ones where severely neglected; both 3 year olds who never had their nails trimmed EVER :( there was even alge somehow growing in the water bottle the lady gave me, they’d been put in a cage and forgotten about. Anyways my two boys flipped out and started the rumble strut with each other Felix was trying to mount Rufus, he flipped around and they started full on fighting! I grabbed him up so fast, he got bit on the cheek and kept rolling his little tongue around in his mouth .. there was a good amount of blood. He’s okay now. The first horrible fight these brothers has ever had I was SO scared !. They are all separated now. The new boys didn’t know what to do because they are very socially awkward , they didn’t challenge my boys. Felix and Rufus think they BOTH got to be billy bad ass which is a huge problem. It’s a big mess. Please someone help me omg this breaks my heart that this happened between my own boys, they always was gotten on each other’s nerves and argued here and there but it was just normal. Not how this was ;vicious and aggressive!
Christ! Those nails! I bet clipping them brought a goof feeling

Thanks for the help ! I clipped their nails and I felt so bad lol their poor hearts was racing. I brought my other boy with me to my aunts in the pet carrier. He’s the one who bit and is the most aggressive. I’m scared my boys will never like each other again. 😢😢😢

I really hope so. They had to be in pain. There was bad sores on the pads of their feet. I think it’s where those people let them just sit in their own feces 😡😢

Welcome to the forum and well done for taking the 2 neglected boys in.
They will at least have the gift of a loving and caring home.
Can’t add to the advice given but you will find friendly support here

Thank you! They most definitely are in good caring hands and yes it’s something I worry about is the living situation when I get home considered the original GP’s hate each other & got in a bad fight.

I've a trio of boars (bad idea but bucking the trend for the time being) and a pair. When I first let the pair out for floor time they went over to the bars of the other cage to introduce themselves, and all hell broke loose. Chicco decided he had to remind his cagemates that he was a very important piggy, and these interlopers changed nothing! I managed to separate them before a serious fight happened, and once it calmed down they went back together fine. So, yes, your new boys being around will have caused this.
I'm going to tag @Wiebke in for advice on whether you can reintroduce your boys, as it sounds like a pretty serious fight. Warning though, if you do try to reintroduce them to each other, do not try to separate them with bare hands if a fight breaks out. You can get very seriously hurt. Use towels, oven gloves etc. I hope it will all work out for you. X

Well it all went absolutely horrible.. I ended up having to get rid of the 2 new sweet boys. My original GP’s hate each other and there was a permanent fall out. I tried and tried to reintroduce them but it wasn’t gonna work. I had a cage divider in the middle of the cage to separate them until I got my travel cage back from my sister but I came home from work one night and they had broke it down to get to each other and Rufus had bloody bites I had to clean so you this is a living hell for me Ug. So sad about it all 😞😢

Thank you for the advice ! I used cardboard. Now the first fight they got into I was so scared and I went into crazy caring guinea pig momma mode and grabbed one with my bare hands ... thank god I didn’t get anything but I few scratches ! But at the time I never knew they could fight each other like that and there was no time to find something to separate 😞

I'm so sorry you've had such a nightmare. You won't be able to put Rufus and Felix back together even now that the new boys have gone. Once they've fought, that's kind of it. They don't forgive and forget. It's such a shame, and you were trying to do a good thing by rescuing the others. I hope your guys settle into life side by side. The advice would often be to get them each a new friend, but somehow I don't think that's a road you'd want to go down, given the horrible experience you've had this time around. They'll be fine each in their own space with each other to talk to when they're in the mood.

Back