2 Or 3 Sows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toto18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I haven't had guinea pigs for several years and have previously had at different times pairs of sows. However as I'm aware guinea pigs like to live in larger groups would it be better for me to get three rather than two this time? I have already ordered a 2x4 c&c cage with a loft. I have also got a large indoor playpen plus a large outdoor run. So there should be enough room for them all to get a good run around, or do people feel this is too small for 3? Thanks in advance for the advice. :D

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
2x4 may be a bit small for 3 piggies, I think 2x5 is the minimum for 3 piggies. But it may be okay if they're closely bonded and get out to run free:D

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I believe 2x4 would be OK for 2, if you can extend to a 2x5, possibly by using the grids from the loft, would be better for 3. I have 3 sows in a 2x6 and recently added a loft as felt it was a bit snug for my fatties!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I haven't had guinea pigs for several years and have previously had at different times pairs of sows. However as I'm aware guinea pigs like to live in larger groups would it be better for me to get three rather than two this time? I have already ordered a 2x4 c&c cage with a loft. I have also got a large indoor playpen plus a large outdoor run. So there should be enough room for them all to get a good run around, or do people feel this is too small for 3? Thanks in advance for the advice. :D
Unless you can get three well bonded sows, I would go for two or two and a neutered boar. Trios are generally the most difficult constellation to get right without one piggy being left out.

Have you had a look at Glynneath Guinea Pig Rescue? They are the best rescue in South Wales and well worth going a bit further afield! You won't have to worry about issues like potential pregnancy or not getting on etc. when adopting from them. They are also very experienced with guinea pigs.
Glynneath Guinea Pig Rescue and Boarding 01639 721127 10am-4pm: Adoption Fees and Services or Log in to Facebook | Facebook

Toto18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it would be better to get the two then. I don't want squashed pigs! And I certainly don't want pigs that don't bond well and get lonely. I will give Glynneath a ring and see if they have any suitable gps. Thank you all for the advice!

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it would be better to get the two then. I don't want squashed pigs! And I certainly don't want pigs that don't bond well and get lonely. I will give Glynneath a ring and see if they have any suitable gps. Thank you all for the advice!
The great thing about c&c is that you can extend it and change it so if you do want to add in the future you can. I added princess to my pair and thankfully they accepted her straight away, but j think that's because she a baby and they are such a placid pair
Can't wait to see pictures of your new piggies when you get them x

Toto18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The great thing about c&c is that you can extend it and change it so if you do want to add in the future you can. I added princess to my pair and thankfully they accepted her straight away, but j think that's because she a baby and they are such a placid pair
Can't wait to see pictures of your new piggies when you get them x
Are both of your piggies sows? At what age did you introduce the 3rd? Thanks X

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are both of your piggies sows? At what age did you introduce the 3rd? Thanks X
Katie & nala were almost 2 when I introduced princess who was around 8 weeks old when I got her. All girls and they are totally inseparable. I followed the guide on here about Introductions and worked really well for them. I must add I tried princess with my other 2 girls harry and Lloyd (Ignore the boyish names , my flatmate named them) and it was a disaster. It definitely depends on personalities.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had several successful trios with a 2 sow - 1 neutered boar trio, but I also have had trios that didn't work out at all when either acceptance didn't happen or I had to find a different solution for an unhappy outsider piggy. it all very much depends on the individual personalities. I would always date at a rescue of possible; that way you avoid ending up with piggies that won't get on from the start.

With sows, I would always recommend to go from 2 to 4 sows if you stick with the same gender - and make sure that the second pair is younger and well bonded, too, so you neatly avoid the thorny outsider problem. With four piggies, you get small group dynamics, so the outsider problem tends to get smaller. You would need a 2x5 C&C ground floor for 4 guinea pigs.
PS: Glynneath has currently got several gorgeous sow pairs looking for homes, but no neutered boars in at the moment.

Toto18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I
I have had several successful trios with a 2 sow - 1 neutered boar trio, but I also have had trios that didn't work out at all when either acceptance didn't happen or I had to find a different solution for an unhappy outsider piggy. it all very much depends on the individual personalities. I would always date at a rescue of possible; that way you avoid ending up with piggies that won't get on from the start.

With sows, I would always recommend to go from 2 to 4 sows if you stick with the same gender - and make sure that the second pair is younger and well bonded, too, so you neatly avoid the thorny outsider problem. With four piggies, you get small group dynamics, so the outsider problem tends to get smaller. You would need a 2x5 C&C ground floor for 4 guinea pigs.
PS: Glynneath has currently got several gorgeous sow pairs looking for homes, but no neutered boars in at the moment.
With all this help I think a sow pair would probably be better to start with and then at a later date I can see about increasing the cage space and maybe adding another one (via a piggie dating service) at a later date. That sounds very promising with glynneath! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.