• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ChubbyCarrots

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I’m going to be travelling for 4 hours and I’m taking my babies with me, we’ve travelled before but we’ve only been in the car 2 hours max. I have no family or friends to leave my piggies with unfortunately or I would save them the trouble.

I’m just looking for any advice for car journeys, thanks so much xx

Air con! It can get hot in carriers especially if they’re hiding under hay. I always take cucumber on vet trips etc to tempt them into taking liquids.

I’m sure it goes with out saying but never ever leave them in the car. Even it it’s in the shade on an overcast day

Whenever we go to Cat & Rabbit in Northampton (which is around 4-5hr drive depending on traffic), we use a large plastic storage box as a makeshift cage for the piggies (lined with puppy pads, then fitch bedding, and then loads of hay and food, we also put a cardboard box they can hide in). They can walk around the box if they want to and the space is much bigger than the carrier. We only put them in the carrier to bring them from the car to the vet. We have something like the photo below. Of course we don't put the lid on. But if in case we'd need them in the whole box and a lid is needed (i.e. to ward off other animals), we put loads of holes (£2 coin size) on the lid. I also pack their fruits and veggies in a sealed container that I can give them during the trip. I always sit with them in the backseat while hubby drives so I know they are safe.

5060024800807_01c.jpeg

Also cucumber if u keep it in a pot of water for a while before traveling it smoked up more water so keeps them well hydrated

Whenever we go to Cat & Rabbit in Northampton (which is around 4-5hr drive depending on traffic), we use a large plastic storage box as a makeshift cage for the piggies (lined with puppy pads, then fitch bedding, and then loads of hay and food, we also put a cardboard box they can hide in). They can walk around the box if they want to and the space is much bigger than the carrier. We only put them in the carrier to bring them from the car to the vet. We have something like the photo below. Of course we don't put the lid on. But if in case we'd need them in the whole box and a lid is needed (i.e. to ward off other animals), we put loads of holes (£2 coin size) on the lid. I also pack their fruits and veggies in a sealed container that I can give them during the trip. I always sit with them in the backseat while hubby drives so I know they are safe.

View attachment 92160
Thanks so much!

Good advice @Jomundy
Love the autocorrect in the post before your correction.
I had a picture in my mind of a laid Bach cucumber having a cigarette :D

Auto correct has a lot to answer for. As mentioned before I once had a very rude message from @Tim as autocorrect had corrected incorrectly!

Auto correct has a lot to answer for. As mentioned before I once had a very rude message from @Tim as autocorrect had corrected incorrectly!
I’m innocent:inn: My fat fingers were the guilty party :whistle:

I've been driving with the aircon and I still get hot especially since in 33° it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to kick in and cool the whole car down. I would say travel with icy water bottle, black out the windows, provide an ice pack in the cage and a fan blowing on one side so they can cool down if needed. All this with the AC!

I put freezer packs in with them as well as AC. Cover the carriers with a lightweight scarf to block out sun and then give them cucumber and lettuce every hour to an hour and a half (depending on service stations). And I make sure they have cucumber when I get to my location. They seem to travel okay and I’ve had similar journeys.

This last time I travelled early so I missed the midday sun altogether. It did make a difference.

Hello, I’m going to be travelling for 4 hours and I’m taking my babies with me, we’ve travelled before but we’ve only been in the car 2 hours max. I have no family or friends to leave my piggies with unfortunately or I would save them the trouble.

I’m just looking for any advice for car journeys, thanks so much xx

Folded towel in largest carrier you have, fresh hay and some chopped veggies near front plus water bottle clamped to front. In this very hot weather I put a freezer block securely wrapped in a separate towel on the outside of one part of the carrier. Seat belt around carrier, so that it doesn't topple over with sudden braking. Air con on, but not icy cold. If you have the radio/ music on don't have it turned up loudly. I talk to my piggies because they know my voice - even so, they are always worried that it is a 'vet trip'.... When you arrive use your opened carrier as their safe 'home' base plus a little area where they can move around.

Folded towel in largest carrier you have, fresh hay and some chopped veggies near front plus water bottle clamped to front. In this very hot weather I put a freezer block securely wrapped in a separate towel on the outside of one part of the carrier. Seat belt around carrier, so that it doesn't topple over with sudden braking. Air con on, but not icy cold. If you have the radio/ music on don't have it turned up loudly. I talk to my piggies because they know my voice - even so, they are always worried that it is a 'vet trip'.... When you arrive use your opened carrier as their safe 'home' base plus a little area where they can move around.
Welcome to the forum @Sarkyfarky

Back