• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Hi everyone,
Sorry for my late response I've been trying to come to terms with the news. The X-ray showed no babies, instead 2 large tumours. We have to decide wether we do surgery which has a high chance of not going well or if we keep her home and enjoying her time left with Hunter and us. We have her on some pain relief now and we've been spending a lot of time with her. It's devastating and such a hard decision to make.
So, unfortunately this isn't the miracle conception after all. I just cant believe how wrong the Vet got it all, but this seems to be common when it comes to Vets and Guinea Pigs.
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and support I really, really appreciate it. xx

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry for you getting the worst kind of news possible. The bald areas are most likely self-barbering because of pain.
The baby theory sounded to me rather unlikely but I would have never guessed that she could have two internal tumors instead, either.

You are justified in feeling very upset with the shock of the correct diagnosis because it marks the onset of the grieving process and is the second worst time in the whole process. You can either reflect your strong feelings into yourself as guilt (which is the more common) or you can reflect them outwards onto somebody else as anger - but I hope that you can come to appreciate that diagnosing the more unusual is often more in the way of a Whodunnit with fingerprint powder and a magnifying glass than not.
Please do not blame your vet; it sounds like they have been very careful in their investigation. It is not their fault that embryos, tumors, ovarian cysts and fat balls can look surprisingly similar in a scan; interpreting them correctly is actually much more tricky than most people imagine. In all fairness, your vet has been able to correctly rule out the most common issues and just got it wrong at the last hurdle - but they were also very willing to help you towards the correct diagnosis. I'd personally rather have a careful and caring vet like yours and appreciate that they are really pushing the boat out for my piggy's benefit even where the waters are pretty choppy than one who goes for the first likely issue and leaves it at that.

Whether you opt for a make or break operation or terminal care, you are perfectly right with focussing on creating as many happy and precious memories with your special girl. Knowing that you have got only limited time left gives you the opportunity to make the best of it; that is the one big gift that comes with a terminal diagnosis. Love can transcend time; you can stuff a lifetime's worth into just a moment, as I know from my dad's long struggle with terminal cancer.
I would recommend that you go with the option that feels right in your gut because that will make it easier for you to accept it all in the long term. There is no right or wrong in these situations.

I am wishing you precious hours with Honey! She is happy to have found such a loving and caring owner.

A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Oh that is sad news, sorry to hear, but thank goodness she has a loving home with you and get the best care she can :luv:

Sending you huge hugs, such an unexpected shock. I suppose, trying to see a silver lining here, is that you pushed for the second opinion so even though it's not good news, Honey is at least on pain relief to keep her comfortable while you make your decisions. There's no right or wrong route to go down here, just keep Honey in your heart and the right decision will be made.

So sorry to hear your sad news. Its very clear how much you love your girl and will have her best interests at heart. Its not an easy decision to make.

Are the vets sure they’re tumours and not internal abscesses. We have a piggy, who had a large internal abscess, attached to his bowel. He had successful surgery. Since then, I’ve heard of a few piggies with strange internal lumps, that have also turned out to be abscesses. Also, could it be large cystic ovaries? I’m not saying your vet is wrong, but I’ve seen incorrect diagnosis so many times, that I question everything.

Thank you everyone so much for your kind words and support I was tearing up reading all of your replies. You have all made me feel at home on this site and its so nice to find others who care so much about Guinea Pigs like I do. You are all so amazing I can't put into words just how much I appreciate you all!

You're very right in what you said about the Vet Weibke. I think I was just in a lot of shock at the time of writing my last post over how different the first diagnosis was to the second one and trying to come to terms with it all. I know now that I don't blame her (and I'm trying not to blame myself). She has been very helpful and I really appreciate how much time she has taken for me with the phone calls and appointments all for Honey. I am also very sorry to hear about your Dad, I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for you and I send you my condolences. Life is so precious and I agree with you that its so important to make many loving and happy memories with the ones we love.

I had another call with the Vet today to discuss the surgery and she has suggested we do a biopsy. This will help determine if the tumours are benign or not so would give them a clearer idea of what to expect with surgery, and if they are benign then she would have a higher chance of surviving the operation as it may not have spread to different organs. Again, I am so appreciative that the Vet is giving me so much time and her expertise in helping us all do what's best for Honey. So we are going to go ahead with the biopsy this week and hopefully this will give us a better idea of what choice to make in this difficult decision.

I'm not sure how to tag people in this response but I'm hoping you guys will see this -Furryfriends and Betsy, if its okay for me to ask, how did the recovery go for your piggies after their surgery? Do they tend to try and pick at any stitches and did you have to help them with eating e.g syringe feeding? I would be grateful for any advice just so I know how to properly prepare if it comes to surgery for Honey.

Honey did well over the weekend, still eating and drinking and is fairly lively. I think the pain meds are working as she's not pulled out more of her hair that I can see. We spent a lot of time with her and Hunter

Thank you again everyone, I'm truly blown away by your support and how lovely and welcoming you all have been x

Oh no just seen your post I am so sorry to read your sad news about little Honey. You must be so shocked and devastated :hug:Make plenty of memories with Honey and Hunter x

Here at TEAS we frequently have guinea pigs operated on and generally the recovery is quick and without any complications. I’ve dealt with a lot of guinea pigs post spay, who have all been very well immediately post op. I’ve never had guinea pigs chew at stitches and have been back to normal within a day or two.

Betsy never chewed her stitches. She was pretty spaced out for a day or 2 after her op because of all the meds she had been given. I had to syringe feed her for a day or so and she went back with the love of her life Dennis (RIP) within 36 hours post op.

I am so sorry for the news you’ve had.
It was about a year ago, just after we went into lockdown, that Jemimah was diagnosed with an abdominal tumour.
It feels as if the world has crashed around you.
I find with decisions such as you face is that I make a decision and live with it for a while.
If it still feel right then I go ahead. If it doesn’t feel right then I think again.
Whatever you choose to do will be right for you.
Holding you in my heart

Just seen this and read all the posts. Sending you love. I hope you are doing ok. What a shock for you x

Hi everyone,
Sorry for my late response I've been trying to come to terms with the news. The X-ray showed no babies, instead 2 large tumours. We have to decide wether we do surgery which has a high chance of not going well or if we keep her home and enjoying her time left with Hunter and us. We have her on some pain relief now and we've been spending a lot of time with her. It's devastating and such a hard decision to make.
So, unfortunately this isn't the miracle conception after all. I just cant believe how wrong the Vet got it all, but this seems to be common when it comes to Vets and Guinea Pigs.
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and support I really, really appreciate it. xx
Is your vet and exotic vet? I would think not seeing guinea pigs do not nest. I recommend finding another. I am sorry for your situation. My family was there last year as well. It was too late for our girl.

Back