Advice and Ideas For Cage Upgrade

rodents.of.rivendell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on upgrading my current guinea pig cage (I own 3 sows). It's currently a 4x2 c&c cage with a 2x2 second level. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6x2 on the base. Can I get some ideas for their next cage and things I should change? Any other constructive criticisms for my cage would be much appreciated I want to make sure I'm giving my girls the best I can.
Thanks in advance :)

IMG_7649.jpg

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
It would be lovely to upgrade the cage to bigger. A 5x2 is the recommended size for three sows (upper levels don’t count towards the cage size) so giving the more space is definitely a good thing - a 6x2 would be perfect.
I can’t see where their hay is but three large separate hay areas (it’s recommended to have one item per piggy - so three hay areas, three food bowls, at least three hideys). I would also space the bottles further apart.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on upgrading my current guinea pig cage (I own 3 sows). It's currently a 4x2 c&c cage with a 2x2 second level. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6x2 on the base. Can I get some ideas for their next cage and things I should change? Any other constructive criticisms for my cage would be much appreciated I want to make sure I'm giving my girls the best I can.
Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 178207

Piggies like running loops and still like to play tag and dodgems with each other occasionally still as adults; mostly the young ones but even oldies do it sometimes - my oldest one was an 8 year old lady blind with cataracts and having arthritis so she had to waddle along a scent spoor of hers. She joyfully created a new loop only two days before she died. If you can arrange the furnishings so that your piggies have a loop, you may find that they will run and play and discover their inner pup again. ;)

You may find interesting ideas in our members' C&C cage gallery: Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages (best start from the back as those are the newest layouts).
You can perhaps also find new ideas when you think about different enrichment ideas for all senses: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs