• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry I realise this isn't a piggy problem but wondered if you could help anyway- it's appreciated. I'm really worried about my boy.

Some of you may know that I have a rabbit called Bigwig. He must 7 years old by now (6 at the youngest) and he's never had any health problems or really any problems at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's been our healthiest animal. He has pretty much grown up with me and I can still remember when I brought him home in a gravybone box and he kept popping his head up like a meerkat. He was just soooooo small and a dream come true- I'd always dreamt I'd own a black rabbit.

Anyway Saturday this changed. Recently he's eyes have been watery but I thought it down to the heat as it wasnt continous and one day they'd be clear. He's also been moulting for a long time. (We do groom him to help but with every brush more comes out- it isn't stopping!).

The real worry with my little boy now is he seems to be drooling- his chin is wet, he isn't moving much nor is he eating as much. He is grinding his teeth and isn't interacting with any of us like he usually does and one of his ears is down- but clean. I didn't act yesterday as he was fine in the morning and it was only later things changed and today I've kept my eye on him to see what he's doing. Which isn't much. He is moving but literally hardly at all- if you compare it to normal and is drinking more. He has eaten some lettuce and dandelion leaves- note he lives outside so grass is always available which he has also been nibbling.With the heat we have him in the shade constantly and he has ice packs available at all times aswell as clean water. He also seems to idk how to put it - not gag but you know the gagging motion- he is doing that every now and again.

I have been reading up on his symptoms and I'm unsure- could it be an ear infection r something more sinister? I'm not looking for a diagnosis - he is going to the vet!

But has anyone experienced this? I feel like such a bad mummy at the minute it's so horrible seeing him like this. I'm hoping it's treatable whatever it is and that I've caught it early. I know he's getting old and at one point he will inevitably leave me but it just doesn't seem right him going now and in such a horrible way- because I'm guessing he's in pain. I hope the vet can offer a treatment but we'll see.

Thank you all for your help and I really appreciate you reading all that.

Just one more repeat of his symptoms- I guess I'm really worrying because my first guinea pig went down so suddenly and she had to be pts.

●not moving much
●not eating as much
●one ear down
●slight head tilt
●drooling- wet chin
●teeth grinding
●eyes have been watering cos fur is crusty around eyes
●drinking more
●gagging like movement occasionally

All these since late Saturday.

Unfortunately, there are several illnesses that your bunny could have. With the head tilt it could be something as serious as E cuniculi or an ear infection.

The teeth grinding will most likely be due to pain.

Your bunny needs to see a vet as a matter of urgency I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, there are several illnesses that your bunny could have. With the head tilt it could be something as serious as E cuniculi or an ear infection.

The teeth grinding will most likely be due to pain.

Your bunny needs to see a vet as a matter of urgency I'm afraid.
Yes don't worry he is seeing a vet asap. I read about the E cuniculi- how does that come about? Is it something I've caused?

Could it be a dental issue? Hopefully you have got a decent rabbit savvy vet. The rabbits united forum is brills. Good luck.
His teeth (at least those at the front) are fine but I realise it could be his molars- though he is still able to eat it's just like he doesn't want too. As yesterday he ate half of a hard biscuit carrot treat (I thought I'd see if he still went for that as he is crazy about them!) But I'm going to ask the vet to check everything

Poss sounds dental to me. I've had so many buns and many with teeth issues. The moulting could be lack of condition. whatever it is, buns are far better at hiding problems than pigs and you have to pick up on the clues. He's best to get an MOT. Good luck to the lovely fella

Thank you all so much for your responses and well wishes he really is a lovely little guy full of character and I know I won't be the only one to miss him if it is the worse- my dog Molly adores him and they often look for each other. I'll keep you all updated and hopefully he'll be back to his normal self in no time. This here is one of my favourite pictures of my baby.

20170308_164525.jpg

Okay he's booked for a vet appointment today and I just pray they can fix him. I haven't had a good track record with Vets when I'm taking animals that have gone I'll rather quickly but we shall see- I'm taking him to the same vet Mo saw when I suspected he had a URI. They were really nice and did seem to knw their stuff so fingers crossed. Oh god I'm dreading it...

Hope your rabbit gets better!
If he is drooling, not eating much and grinding his teeth, it may be teeth problems

How did the vet visit go?
I was thinking of you and really hoping it went well. :hug:
My kids love your You Tube videos, and were very sad to hear the beautiful Bigwig wasn't feeling well.

My kids love your You Tube videos, and were very sad to hear the beautiful Bigwig wasn't feeling well.
Thank you for all your kind words everyone it is so nice and I'm sure if Bigwig could talk he'd day the same.

Anyway the vet said it didn't look to be E Cuniculi or an ear infection. And though his teeth aren't as good as they could be they aren't bad (as in wouldn't stop or hurt him when eating). She did say it could be he has had a stroke and will recover or he may have another and die. She offered us tests etc but he was too stressed so I said no- though she has said to bring in him again in a week (or sooner if he declines).

I was given the option to put him to sleep if I felt he was 'gone' but I'm glad I said no because on returning home and after a cooling spout of rain he was practically normal again! Hopping after me on the lawn grunting like he always has and attempting to 'cuddle' my legs.

And @Swissgreys that is really kind of you to say but I'm afraid I do not make youtube videos...I do have videos on instgram.

❤once again thank you- I will keep you all updated on him. I'm hoping he continues to improve but let's see.

Thats great to hear he is improving. I too had suspected dental as the most likely cause.

Just thought i would add that although some rabbits continue to eat even when overgrown teeth have lacerated their tongues and are causing pain, others will stop as soon as a tooth spur starts to appear. Just something to bear in mind for the future :)

Back