• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Aggressive female piggy!

Issyxedwardsxo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, I have two female piggies who are both almost 4 years old called Pippa and Jo. We got Jo first and she is a few months older but, while Pippa has always been the quieter and more nervous piggy, they have always got on together well. Yesterday while I was cleaning the cage however, Jo started chasing Pippa around their cage, trying to bite her bottom and mount her until I separated them. She stopped for a while but it did happen again once. Does anybody have any thoughts as to why this is happening or what to do about it? I have thought about putting them in different cages but would obviously prefer not to.

Hey, I have two female piggies who are both almost 4 years old called Pippa and Jo. We got Jo first and she is a few months older but, while Pippa has always been the quieter and more nervous piggy, they have always got on together well. Yesterday while I was cleaning the cage however, Jo started chasing Pippa around their cage, trying to bite her bottom and mount her until I separated them. She stopped for a while but it did happen again once. Does anybody have any thoughts as to why this is happening or what to do about it? I have thought about putting them in different cages but would obviously prefer not to.

Hi and welcome!

Please see a vet for ovarian cysts during regular weektime opening hours.

Ovarian cysts are very common in adult and especially older sows. While the majority doesn't cause any problems, sudden aggression/a sow behaving like she is in season all the time are very typical for growing cysts that are causing hormonal imbalances.
More information in this link here: Sow Behaviour (including ovarian cysts)

Back