• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ChloeThePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello All,

I had two guinea pigs and I had to surrender one due to personal issues. Ruby and Coco lived in the same cage until there was ALOT of fighting and blood was drawn so I separated the girls at night and then brought them together during the day. I couldn’t trust them together and I couldn’t have two cages so I surrendered my submissive pig and kept my dominant pig. However, she can’t be placed with anyone, NO ONE. She doesn’t like to share her food or space. But I can’t keep getting more and more cages for more guinea pigs if she will continue to fight them. Would she be fine alone? I bond and play with her every day before and after work. What else should I do?

How big is the cage? And is there two of everything - bowls, hides and bottles? She can’t hog both bowls at once.

I’m not sure what to suggest apart from finding a rescue that does dating so she can perhaps choose her own friend (including a neutered boar).

If all else fails you could have another piggy in an adjacent cage so she still has that interaction, just through bars. Piggies really do need company of their own kind. Good luck finding a solution.

Sorry you have had a rough time and had to give up one of your piggies. It is rare for girl pigs to fight to this extreme but not unheard of. What size is the cage that you have, sometimes there is more chance of them getting along if they have their own space in the cage.
It can be that they have been bullied and lash out first to try and defend themselves. Tara was like that, I tried to bond her with my group and she attacked them out of fear. I put a wire divider in the hutch with a large space for her on one side and the rest of the hutch on the other, I do have very big hutches. She lunged at Charlotte and threw herself against the divider with such force I thought she would hurt herself, and did this every time Charlotte came near for the next 3 days. She lived next to the group like this for 6 months slowly getting used to them before I finally bonded her successfully. It did take having a neutered boar in the group to keep the peace. When Nico died Charlotte and Tara started to fall out again and I had to find a neutered boy fairly quick and getting Reuben put an end to the squabbling.

When I tried getting my two girls together, Cocoa was really mean to Penny. So I decided to keep them in separate cages, but right next to each other so they can still interact through the bars. Maybe you could get another piggy and have the two be cage neighbors so they can talk through the bars. Your piggy really should have a friend :)

How big is the cage? And is there two of everything - bowls, hides and bottles? She can’t hog both bowls at once.

I’m not sure what to suggest apart from finding a rescue that does dating so she can perhaps choose her own friend (including a neutered boar).

If all else fails you could have another piggy in an adjacent cage so she still has that interaction, just through bars. Piggies really do need company of their own kind. Good luck finding a solution.

They has two of everything. And I can’t have two cages due to my current living situation. I have a mid west cage.

Sorry you have had a rough time and had to give up one of your piggies. It is rare for girl pigs to fight to this extreme but not unheard of. What size is the cage that you have, sometimes there is more chance of them getting along if they have their own space in the cage.
It can be that they have been bullied and lash out first to try and defend themselves. Tara was like that, I tried to bond her with my group and she attacked them out of fear. I put a wire divider in the hutch with a large space for her on one side and the rest of the hutch on the other, I do have very big hutches. She lunged at Charlotte and threw herself against the divider with such force I thought she would hurt herself, and did this every time Charlotte came near for the next 3 days. She lived next to the group like this for 6 months slowly getting used to them before I finally bonded her successfully. It did take having a neutered boar in the group to keep the peace. When Nico died Charlotte and Tara started to fall out again and I had to find a neutered boy fairly quick and getting Reuben put an end to the squabbling.
My two girls were in a mid west cage. I can’t have two cages so that’s why I couldn’t keep Ruby. For me to get ANOTHING female to have to home alone is useless.

When I tried getting my two girls together, Cocoa was really mean to Penny. So I decided to keep them in separate cages, but right next to each other so they can still interact through the bars. Maybe you could get another piggy and have the two be cage neighbors so they can talk through the bars. Your piggy really should have a friend :)
I don’t have space for two cages...

I’d try the dating at a rescue then if I were you. Hopefully she can find another piggie she gets along with, whether female or male. Good luck.

Back