• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

It has been awhile since I last visited. In that time I’ve added to my piggy family by one and now have Steve (the legendary white crested boy who you all saw grow up), Bellamy (Lunkarya) and the newest addition Stitch.

all doing okay, I feel I should add that they are not living as a trio. Steve lives alone and Bellamy and stitch are living together.
Now stitch is only just a year old and I’ve just got back off of a holiday and done my claw trims to find he has (well had) an impaction but not of poo of smegma and hair. Just seemed a bit strange cos I clean him quite regularly (not too much but enough) and his penis is okay? He’s been acting totally fine and if I hadn’t done his claw trim today I wouldn’t have even thought to look. Should I be worried?

Hello. I sometimes notice some debris sticking out of my boars bottoms and when I pull it it’s a bit of hair, sawdust and a smelly white, sticky substance. Is this what your boy had? If it was just a little bit I’d just keep an eye on it. But if there was lots and you are worried I
would get it checked to be on the safe side. I usually notice it about once every couple of weeks. So not often.

I’m going to attach a pic so you can see what I mean this is after I’ve got out the plug. I’ve bathed and used a-tip as well as my finger (🤢) and this is what’s left. I’ll keep trying little baths but this is sort of there I can’t get rid of anymore. Is this normal? As you can see the penis is perfect and I have not touched it at all other then popped it out. He wasn’t in discomfort when I cleaned and nothing nasty came out just looks weird

Attachments

• 27C9698E-CA39-4633-BC1C-D5A2A2085551.jpeg
    27C9698E-CA39-4633-BC1C-D5A2A2085551.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • FCEB8432-6B31-482F-947D-5F987A78C949.jpeg
    FCEB8432-6B31-482F-947D-5F987A78C949.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 20
Just the grey bit don’t look right? I’m a vet nurse so seen bits and bobs even helped clients clean their boars just never seen a sac look like this. Only thing I can think is newspaper dye? Where there is paper under the sawdust if he butt drags

Attachments

• 5818F205-06FB-420C-8094-A1F829ACFA7E.jpeg
    5818F205-06FB-420C-8094-A1F829ACFA7E.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 6069C956-B06D-4D49-9370-739D9A91BA73.jpeg
    6069C956-B06D-4D49-9370-739D9A91BA73.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Yeah that does look quite dirty. My boys are never that bad. I’d get it checked out to be safe.

Yeah that does look quite dirty. My boys are never that bad. I’d get it checked out to be safe.
Thank you I’m glad you think it’s just dirt. I’ll run him into work with me to be safe anyway and do a couple more low baths to help soften it. Just don’t really know why it’s built up quite like that

If it was just dirt it should wash off... I mean maybe a plug of smegma and hair would take some shifting and you can't use too warm water round there but I'd be concerned about that appearance because I've had 4 boars and I've not seen anything like that before. Old George gets impacted but the plug of poop comes away pretty cleanly and a quick dab with a wet cotton wool pad shifts any residue. And Stitch is so young...

I'd perhaps want to exclude fungal infection, or maybe a yeasty overgrowth of Candida ('Thrush') or that sort of thing. I've never personally seen anything like that in piggies but thrush down below in humans (ladies at least!) can produce a thick white-ish discharge that clings to the, erm... more sensitive areas and won't wash off. There can be soreness and irritation too - but can piggies get it? Best to check with a vet I think because if there is an overgrowth of yeast there might be an underlying reason x

I've two lunkyria boars and both produce a lot of white greasy substance in there anal sacks.i cut the hair there hair very short around the legs and bum.also find they have very active grease glands.i gently clean both areas,but the short hair helps in them both keeping themselves clean.Matthew has impaction now,he is neutered, but i need to clean him every 3 days.....he is just 4 years old.

Back