Any recommendations for hay that contains less dust?

Tinychels

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I've been feeding my 3 girls Oxbow Timothy Hay for all their lives. They absolutely love it I've noticed that it does contain lots of dust, especially when I get towards the bottom, I never finish the bag because of it. They sneeze every now and then due to the hay dust, so I feel terrible for them breathing it in. I try shaking out the dust every time I grab a handful to refill their racks, but there's just too many. I've switched over to All Living Things Timothy Hay, in the hopes of it having less dust. But instead, it looks like it contains almost twice as much dust as Oxbow does :td:. So I was wondering if anyone would recommend me any other hay products that has less dust :'( ? And where could I get them?

Timothy hay in general just contains a lot of dust. Maybe try alfalfa for a little while?

Hello! I've been feeding my 3 girls Oxbow Timothy Hay for all their lives. They absolutely love it I've noticed that it does contain lots of dust, especially when I get towards the bottom, I never finish the bag because of it. They sneeze every now and then due to the hay dust, so I feel terrible for them breathing it in. I try shaking out the dust every time I grab a handful to refill their racks, but there's just too many. I've switched over to All Living Things Timothy Hay, in the hopes of it having less dust. But instead, it looks like it contains almost twice as much dust as Oxbow does :td:. So I was wondering if anyone would recommend me any other hay products that has less dust :'( ? And where could I get them?

I order from dustfreehay.co.uk (in the UK) they sell English and American Timothy - the English version is a new thing, it’s not AS good as the American but the price reflects that. Their service and hay is generally good quality and it really does have a lot less dust. Only a bit of small ends by the time the box/bag is finished (depending on the bulk you buy, some come in white breathable bags which aren’t quite plastic so the dust doesn’t go stuffy) but no more than about a handful, and the bags are tall so this last bit doesn’t fluff up into the air.

I have serious hay, pig and particularly dust allergies and I have no problem with this hay at all. (Apart from the fact that the boxes are so fully packed that sometimes I struggle to get the first few handfuls out!)

I order from dustfreehay.co.uk (in the UK) they sell English and American Timothy - the English version is a new thing, it’s not AS good as the American but the price reflects that. Their service and hay is generally good quality and it really does have a lot less dust. Only a bit of small ends by the time the box/bag is finished (depending on the bulk you buy, some come in white breathable bags which aren’t quite plastic so the dust doesn’t go stuffy) but no more than about a handful, and the bags are tall so this last bit doesn’t fluff up into the air.

I have serious hay, pig and particularly dust allergies and I have no problem with this hay at all. (Apart from the fact that the boxes are so fully packed that sometimes I struggle to get the first few handfuls out!)
:agr: All of the above re. dustfreehay.co.uk I've never tried the American Timothy, but our two go mad for the English Timothy and are also very partial to the soft meadow hay.

:agr: All of the above re. dustfreehay.co.uk I've never tried the American Timothy, but our two go mad for the English Timothy and are also very partial to the soft meadow hay.

Likewise. I buy equal soft meadow and English Timothy from them and give them 50:50.

I live in the US :( so is it possible if they do international shipping?

I do small pet select for Timothy hay. I also get bluegrass hay from KMS hayloft. My piggies love the bluegrass hay and it does not have any dust at all, it is a long softer hay. It’s also better for my allergies than the Timothy hay.

I do small pet select for Timothy hay. I also get bluegrass hay from KMS hayloft. My piggies love the bluegrass hay and it does not have any dust at all, it is a long softer hay. It’s also better for my allergies than the Timothy hay.
I have tried the bluegrass too. It's nice! I also like the small pet select orchard hay which is similar.

I am also in the US and my Finn and Lara love Oxbow hay.

My 2.55kg Oxbow hay isn't as fine and dusty compared to Kaytee and others.
The bottom of Oxbow hay looks pretty decent and there is plenty of good hay still at the bottom.
IMG_4618.webp
IMG_4620.webp

Stocking up with 17kg of hay for my Finn and Lara.
I used to order Kaytee hay but now, I only buy Oxbow hay.
IMG_4596.webp

Back