• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RescueMummy1304

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! However this is not my first set of guinea pigs, this is my first rescue set! Long story short I've recently rescued 3 boars from a very neglectful home. All of their nails are disgustingly long and curled round. The boys have never been handles (they're 4 years old) meaning they've never been bathed! They also all have impactions that seem to have grown into their skin. I managed to get them into the bath and tried my best to get the impaction out but it won't budge. I really need to help these piggies but with them being so untamed and skittish it's proving difficult. SOMEONE has to have an idea as to what we're all going through. Any advice would be wonderful!

Hi, well done for giving those piggies a loving home! I don't have any advice for the impactions but my Bertie & Marley were completely Ferrell when I first got them they were easily the most skittish piggies I've ever seen obviously never had any positive human contact!They came with running lice so I had to bath them in lice and easy that was not fun for either of us! I found it was easier holding them out of the water while foaming up and talking gently seemed to help alittle. Anyway I've had them for 5 weeks I think now although they are much more confident they are still skittish I think this will take a lot of time and patience. I would highly recommend spending as much time as you can with them, not picking them up or trying to stroke them but just getting them used to yourself they will soon realise that your voice is not a threat, speaking from my own experience it's just about time, patience and love :D it's very rewarding actually to see such Ferrell piggies slowly gaining in confidence Marley is such a cheeky sausage he will spend ages just sniffing my hand :nod: as you can see from the pics Marley (the one with tan bits) is by far the most confident of the two, I never thought I would get to this point with them in these pics I'm sat in their cage attempting to clean them out but they love too play lol

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hi, well done for giving those piggies a loving home! I don't have any advice for the impactions but my Bertie & Marley were completely Ferrell when I first got them they were easily the most skittish piggies I've ever seen obviously never had any positive human contact!They came with running lice so I had to bath them in lice and easy that was not fun for either of us! I found it was easier holding them out of the water while foaming up and talking gently seemed to help alittle. Anyway I've had them for 5 weeks I think now although they are much more confident they are still skittish I think this will take a lot of time and patience. I would highly recommend spending as much time as you can with them, not picking them up or trying to stroke them but just getting them used to yourself they will soon realise that your voice is not a threat, speaking from my own experience it's just about time, patience and love :D it's very rewarding actually to see such Ferrell piggies slowly gaining in confidence Marley is such a cheeky sausage he will spend ages just sniffing my hand :nod: as you can see from the pics Marley (the one with tan bits) is by far the most confident of the two, I never thought I would get to this point with them in these pics I'm sat in their cage attempting to clean them out but they love too play lol

View attachment 51333 View attachment 51334 View attachment 51335

View attachment 51336

Awwh they're absolutely stunning! Thanks for the help!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi @RescueMummy1304
Your new boys are beautiful, although sorry to hear they came from such a poor home.

Anyway I am not an expert on impaction, but this thread might be useful to you.
It has lots of great information, including pictures.

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Well done for saving your 3 boys - I can't wait to see updates on how well they are doing.

Gorgeous boys.I have a soft spot for black pigs.Well done for getting them out.

Update!!

My OH and I have been trying so hard to bring the piggies round to us and we have had a little progress!

We finally got a pet at our little Leo while he's in his cage! This took countless attempts and a lot of running away but our boys are finally feeling what it's like to have affection and they just love it!:yahoo:

image.jpeg

Hello! However this is not my first set of guinea pigs, this is my first rescue set! Long story short I've recently rescued 3 boars from a very neglectful home. All of their nails are disgustingly long and curled round. The boys have never been handles (they're 4 years old) meaning they've never been bathed! They also all have impactions that seem to have grown into their skin. I managed to get them into the bath and tried my best to get the impaction out but it won't budge. I really need to help these piggies but with them being so untamed and skittish it's proving difficult. SOMEONE has to have an idea as to what we're all going through. Any advice would be wonderful!
Welcome RescueMummy1304 we are a friendly bunch, adorable little piggys!

Last edited:
[you]Update!
[/you]

My OH and I have been trying so hard to bring the piggies round to us and we have had a little progress!

We finally got a pet at our little Leo while he's in his cage! This took countless attempts and a lot of running away but our boys are finally feeling what it's like to have affection and they just love it!:yahoo:

View attachment 51372
Yay! :yahoo:
Patience and bell pepper works wonders ;) It's a wonderful feeling when they come out of their shell :wub: Our boys Chip n Dale are still skittish after having them for over a year now, but they reward me with a cuddle every so often :D Shuch a cute herd you have :luv: and well done for rescuing them, they obviously have a loving home with you :nod: x

Yay! :yahoo:
Patience and bell pepper works wonders ;) It's a wonderful feeling when they come out of their shell :wub: Our boys Chip n Dale are still skittish after having them for over a year now, but they reward me with a cuddle every so often :D Shuch a cute herd you have :luv: and well done for rescuing them, they obviously have a loving home with you :nod: x

Thank you! I'm just glad they seem a lot happier. We even catch a popcorn or two now and again. It's such a wonderful feeling and they are very quickly filling our hearts :luv:

[you]Update!
[/you]

View attachment 51372

Wow that was quick! You must be a Guinea pig whisperer! If you could bottle that you could make a fortune :D

Yet another update!

Managed to clip our most ferrel piggies nails clipped (not fantastically done but well enough to get them to the vet and make them a little more comfortable. My wonderful boy sat perfectly and didn't complain once! (Think he was just too busy munching his cucumber). What a wonderful day of achievements for my boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back