• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Blood In Urine

MilliePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Hello everyone,
I have read the forums here a lot but never made an account, until today.
I have two pairs of boars, both very lovely, and today was bath day, much to their demise.
Anyway, when I was bathing the second pair, Bumble was waiting in the empty bath patiently while I was cleaning Bambi at the sink. As with every dominant male, Bambi has a very dirty anal sack so I was cleaning him with baby oil and cotton swabs. I then swapped them out and put Bambi in the empty bath and started cleaning Bumble. I turned my head to check on Bambi and it had appeared that he had peed and his urine was a pink colour. I was very worried as this had never happened before, did I clean him too hard?

Wiebke

Staff member
Try bringing him to a vet to check up on him.
Please have him vet checked. It rather sounds like a urinary tract issue, like a UTI or a cystitis to me, but it is impossible to tell without a proper examination. all we can do is guess as much as you.

MilliePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Please have him vet checked. It rather sounds like a urinary tract issue, like a UTI or a cystitis to me, but it is impossible to tell without a proper examination. all we can do is guess as much as you.
Thank you, I am monitoring him for the next 24 hours before I do. He is eating and drinking fine. He’s about 18 months old and this has never happened before but there is a first for everything!
The only thing is, is that this is the first time I have used baby oil inside his anal sack so it’s it quite coincidental. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain since and is eating and drinking fine.

MilliePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Update: Bambi is peeing more than usual, he has peed maybe 3-4 times since. There is also still blood in his urine. I am starting to believe it is a UTI as this is all out of the blue. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain when peeing. I plan on taking him to the vet as soon as possible but the closet cavy savy vet to me isn’t open on weekends.

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
My Eevie had blood in her wee and it was a uti. It cleared up pretty quickly with antibiotics. Hope he feels better soon

Wiebke

Staff member
Update: Bambi is peeing more than usual, he has peed maybe 3-4 times since. There is also still blood in his urine. I am starting to believe it is a UTI as this is all out of the blue. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain when peeing. I plan on taking him to the vet as soon as possible but the closet cavy savy vet to me isn’t open on weekends.
If your boy is not in any major discomfort, you can wait until Monday. ;)