• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lucyscavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I’ve noticed this white thing on Scrappys penis, I’m really worried as I don’t know what it is and I really don’t want everyone to say take him to a vet! How can I get it off? The 2 bits at the bottom of him are woodshavings it’s the penis part I’m worried about.

Attachments

• 4B503A79-0319-4E8E-9C74-91CCF9AB42F4.jpeg
    4B503A79-0319-4E8E-9C74-91CCF9AB42F4.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 33
Hi I’ve noticed this white thing on Scrappys penis, I’m really worried as I don’t know what it is and I really don’t want everyone to say take him to a vet! How can I get it off? The 2 bits at the bottom of him are woodshavings it’s the penis part I’m worried about.

Hi!

Please express the penis and check whether it is boar glue, the tip of a semen rod or from a build up of smegma around the penis shaft.
It would be good if you checked the boar bits (including the penis shaft) regularly.

This illustrated guide tells you exactly how you go about it and what boar issues to look out for (with pictures): Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Great thank you. I pulled his penis back and this long white thing came out, was it a sperm rod?

It definitely was a sperm rod, it didn’t look like anything else other than that :)

Christian regularly has sperm rods that I have to gently get rid of. The largest one was when he first had his bad back and I had him on strict cage rest.

HUGE Sperm Rod.JPG

Boars are great at keeping all sorts in their sac and under their foreskin. It’s well worth checking their bits every few days. They will soon get used to it and will thank you when you remove hay, hair or sperm rods to make them more comfy

I’m just wondering if any of you do boar cleaning? I was watching saskia on YouTube so I knew how to remove the sperm rod but I then came across her doing boar cleaning. My boys are one and I’ve never done this with them as I thought it was just for impacted piggies. I was reading the link Wiebke sent me and it mentioned it there also but I’m scared to try and do it.

I only clean my boar's bits if they need it. I get a little bit of luke warm water and a cotton bud, sit them on my lap with the back against my tummy and give them a good old clean. Sometimes its a bit of a pongy job. I check them every week at the health check. Usually Dennis is pretty good at keeping himself clean and only needs my help occasionally. Christian on the other hand is a not the same and frequently needs his bits cleaning.

I’m afraid I don’t follow Saskia so I don’t know what she’s recommending. I follow the recommendations in the boar guide that Wiebke linked. Our guides have been written after years of experience so I know they are tried and tested.

I only clean my boar's bits if they need it. I get a little bit of luke warm water and a cotton bud, sit them on my lap with the back against my tummy and give them a good old clean. Sometimes its a bit of a pongy job. I check them every week at the health check. Usually Dennis is pretty good at keeping himself clean and only needs my help occasionally. Christian on the other hand is a not the same and frequently needs his bits cleaning.

Both Felix and Ralph are pretty clean. But Mr Ted was less fastidious with his hygiene

This is so interesting, but I am so thankful I have sows and not boars I don't think I could stomach dealing with boar glue and sperm rods 😱

Back