• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

TheHeatedLesbian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I rescue animals including guinea pigs with my fiancé. I have four permanent piggies in my home and I’ve run into a bit of a problem with a pair I took in about a year ago that’s been slowly getting worse the older they get.
I rescued two male boats who were litter mates and they argued a little bit here and there. Normal stuff, nothing crazy.
However we’ve almost hit the year and a half mark and it’s gone 0-100 so fast. Boar number 1 is extremely aggressive, relentlessly bullying and stressing out Boar 2. To the point he’s depressed and now he’s showing signs of getting sick.
I’ve separated them because of it and Boar number 2 is being an absolute sweet heart and is a completely different guinea when not in the same room or cage with his cage mate. And is doing sooo much better.
The problem is is boar number 1 gets super depressed within a couple of hours of not being with boar 2. But if boar 2 even sees boar 1 he refuses to eat in his own separate cage across the room.
So keeping them together is bad for boar 2 and separating them is bad for boar 1.
Boar 1 is also extremely aggressive with any of the other herd memebers during floor time to the point of attempting to draw blood and can’t be out at the same time. On top of slowly getting more aggressive with people biting and nipping and teeth clanking and refuses to be broken of the habit with consistent handling.
I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place. Any advice on the best way to handle it would be amazing! Boar 2 is fine with my other bonded pair and all my other guineas have gotten so good with handling except for boar 1 who continues to just be aggressive at all times.

Hi I rescue animals including guinea pigs with my fiancé. I have four permanent piggies in my home and I’ve run into a bit of a problem with a pair I took in about a year ago that’s been slowly getting worse the older they get.
I rescued two male boats who were litter mates and they argued a little bit here and there. Normal stuff, nothing crazy.
However we’ve almost hit the year and a half mark and it’s gone 0-100 so fast. Boar number 1 is extremely aggressive, relentlessly bullying and stressing out Boar 2. To the point he’s depressed and now he’s showing signs of getting sick.
I’ve separated them because of it and Boar number 2 is being an absolute sweet heart and is a completely different guinea when not in the same room or cage with his cage mate. And is doing sooo much better.
The problem is is boar number 1 gets super depressed within a couple of hours of not being with boar 2. But if boar 2 even sees boar 1 he refuses to eat in his own separate cage across the room.
So keeping them together is bad for boar 2 and separating them is bad for boar 1.
Boar 1 is also extremely aggressive with any of the other herd memebers during floor time to the point of attempting to draw blood and can’t be out at the same time. On top of slowly getting more aggressive with people biting and nipping and teeth clanking and refuses to be broken of the habit with consistent handling.
I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place. Any advice on the best way to handle it would be amazing! Boar 2 is fine with my other bonded pair and all my other guineas have gotten so good with handling except for boar 1 who continues to just be aggressive at all times.

Hi!

Guinea pigs don't do play time; for them any meeting is a full on bonding session that can be very stressful for them (not to mention frustrating.

Please keep the two boys in a divided cage so they can interact through the bars; that should prevent depression as your first boy can obviously not deal with being alone but has fear issues when interacting with other piggies.
If necessary, have him vet checked to make sure that there is not an underlying health problem.

Use our piggy whispering tips when interacting with him and please take the time to read the information links below:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

I could've written this post, have same situation with my young boar pair. They are currently in seperate pens on opposite sides of the room.

I'm thinking of getting my boar 1 neutered and try to bond him with a sow. I can't see him ever getting on with another boar.

: (

I’ve separated them for now and I’ve decided to make a custom cage that has levels so they can see each other through it and interact without touching but it gives Boar 2 the opportunity to get away and have a safe place to eat and sleep so he feels secure. Hopefully it works!

Back