• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding A Sow With A Pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrychops100

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have 2 bonded sows already who are about 10 weeks old (not exactly sure) they're still small 400g. And I've just rescued another baby sow who is about 8 weeks old (300 g) how do I go about bonding them?
Any help would be appreciated so much
Have a good weekend

Introduce them on neutral ground several times then put them all together in the cage & watch them. TBH I'd be surprised if they don't bond.

I would let the new sow settle for a few days and quarantine her to make sure she is 100% healthy. Then I would set up a neutral space where none of the piggies have been before so they aren't territorial. You can put in tubes etc but I wouldn't advise houses incase a fight breaks out. Hay and vegetables will probably make the bonding process easier and more comfortable for all piggies. Expect some rumblestrutting perhaps or chasing but usually sows are quite easy to bond. :)

I would let the new sow settle for a few days and quarantine her to make sure she is 100% healthy. Then I would set up a neutral space where none of the piggies have been before so they aren't territorial. You can put in tubes etc but I wouldn't advise houses incase a fight breaks out. Hay and vegetables will probably make the bonding process easier and more comfortable for all piggies. Expect some rumblestrutting perhaps or chasing but usually sows are quite easy to bond. :)
Thank you so much, she's had 2 days to settle so I'm going to start bonding today, how long shout they be in together today as its their first time? :)

Please read all our illustrated bonding guides
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Sow Behaviour
Please make sure you do the introduction on neutral territory with nowhere for anyone to get trapped. A big pile of hay/veggies as a distraction. After a couple of hours if things are going well you can introduce a bed each but nothing that doesn't have 2 exits. I used cuddle cups. When you are cetain that things are calm (end of day) you can move them into a completely clean cage with all scent removed. But remember - one each of everything and nowhere anyone can get trapped. Here are a couple of pics from my recent bonding to show my set up. Initial intro pen, then cuddle cups and then a very dull cage set up to minimise scope for squabbling
. IMG_0822.JPGIMG_0837.JPGIMG_0840.JPG

Hi there,
I have 2 bonded sows already who are about 10 weeks old (not exactly sure) they're still small 400g. And I've just rescued another baby sow who is about 8 weeks old (300 g) how do I go about bonding them?
Any help would be appreciated so much
Have a good weekend

Hi!

Please take the time to read our guide and follow the detailed tips. Our guide takes you through all stages of a bonding, inlcuding which behaviours are to be expected.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back