• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Boars Day 8 - Bite on Ear

a213jf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, today is Day 8 of the bonding process of our two boars. Quite still in the dominance phase. Woke up this morning and inspected the piggies for bites and scratches and found the submissive one (Georgie) with a decent bite out of his ear. (see picture) I know that ear nibbling is part of the dominance thing, but this looks a little much? Or perhaps Georgie pulled away suddenly and caused this?

Georgie seems to be standing his ground more and will chatter his teeth at Fabio (dominant) when Fabio chases him around/butt-sniffs. Though a bit nerve-wracking at times, I believe the bonding is still ongoing and have not seen or see evidence of a full blown fight.

Aside from advice on taking him to the vet, the question here is: do we keep them together still?

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
IMG_20190305_103238636.jpg

Hi!

Please have that ear vet checked; that is a sizeable full-on bite and not just an accidental misjudged back leg swing.

How are your boys with each other? Are they tense or relaxed?
If necessary separate with a divider and see whether the injured boy is perking up when away from the other or whether they are both trying to be together. Re-introduce on neutral ground. If there are major problems in their relationship, they will show up pretty straight away within the first half hour. Unlike sows, boars are a lot more upfront. Take it from there; it is the best way how you can evaluate the bond and work out how your two boys really feel about each other.
Bonds In Trouble

Hi!

Please have that ear vet checked; that is a sizeable full-on bite and not just an accidental misjudged back leg swing.

If necessary separate with a divider and see whether the injured boy is perking up when away from the other or whether they are both trying to be together. Re-introduce on neutral ground. If there are major problems in their relationship, they will show up pretty straight away within the first half hour. Unlike sows, boars are a lot more upfront. Take it from there; it is the best way how you can evaluate the bond and work out how your two boys really feel about each other.
Bonds In Trouble
Overall, I feel as though they are relatively relaxed. The intros went really smooth, but for a couple days after we moved them into a cage together, it felt a little tense but more because Fabio would butt-sniff/chase Georgie around. That has settled quite a bit, much less chasing. They will eat in close proximity to each other and even shared a box yesterday to nap in for about a hour or two (first and only time ive seen that happen lol) But as I mentioned before, as of the past 2ish days, Georgie is chattering more at Fabio when chased, its like he's tired of it.

Hi!

Bonds In Trouble
So we took a closer look at Georgie last night and we found a good number of small bites/scabs on his backside :( Some looked fresher than others. We separated them for now, might try this as a temporary solution.

So we took a closer look at Georgie last night and we found a good number of small bites/scabs on his backside :( Some looked fresher than others. We separated them for now, might try this as a temporary solution.

Hi! I am very sorry, but with multiple bites from repeated attacks that is the end of the road for both of them as the bond is definitely not working. Not all boars are able to stand up for themselves and fight back; this is a clear case of bullying and not tolerating the other piggy in one's space. This is a clear case of where full-on bloody bites really mean the of the road as acceptance has not happened and is never going to happen. :(

As gutting and as hard as it is for you to say goodbye to your dreams and plans, please accept the fact and take it from there for both boars sake - they are both stressed and unhappy in their own and very different way.

Hi! I am very sorry, but with multiple bites from repeated attacks that is the end of the road for both of them as the bond is definitely not working. Not all boars are able to stand up for themselves and fight back; this is a clear case of bullying and not tolerating the other piggy in one's space. This is a clear case of where full-on bloody bites really mean the of the road as acceptance has not happened and is never going to happen. :(

As gutting and as hard as it is for you to say goodbye to your dreams and plans, please accept the fact and take it from there for both boars sake - they are both stressed and unhappy in their own and very different way.
Pooor buddies! Thanks for the reassurance! Neighbors it is!

There’s just no pleasing some boars! They will be quite happy if they can see each other and interact at the bars x

My two boys loved living next door to each. Chatting through the bars and even looking for one another when one was out for cleaning. Just couldn't live together.
Boys will be boys!
Xx.

My two boys loved living next door to each. Chatting through the bars and even looking for one another when one was out for cleaning. Just couldn't live together.
Boys will be boys!
Xx.
Have you had any issues with nipping through the cage bars? We were planning on setting up a double wall, with about an inch in between so they can still see and sniff...

Have you had any issues with nipping through the cage bars? We were planning on setting up a double wall, with about an inch in between so they can still see and sniff...
No problems at all. My boys had a mesh wall, the gaps were only big enough to push the tip of a piggy nose through. But not enough to fit a nose and a mouth to bite.
Sometimes they would even sleep side by side, fur almost touching through the mesh.
Hope this helps.
Hugs to you and your boys.xx

So sorry it hasn't worked out for you and your boys. I've had this happen with one pair of mine previously and they lived happily as neighbours. It was a c&c cage I had so I just split it in half. They were happy as they could see each other and interact through the bars. Boars are such characters, the little rascals.

Back