• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Princessmint

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new piggy mama, just got my babies 2 weeks ago. They are getting more comfortable, not hiding from me as much. My issue is removing them from the cage for cleaning. I did it once and picked them up to put into play pen, but it was very difficult and I don't think they enjoyed being picked up. I've been taking things slow so I haven't really tried to pet them or have lap time yet. Their habitat is on a table so I have to somehow remove them for cage cleaning. What works best to remove the piggies happily and safely?

Hi, I'm a new piggy mama, just got my babies 2 weeks ago. They are getting more comfortable, not hiding from me as much. My issue is removing them from the cage for cleaning. I did it once and picked them up to put into play pen, but it was very difficult and I don't think they enjoyed being picked up. I've been taking things slow so I haven't really tried to pet them or have lap time yet. Their habitat is on a table so I have to somehow remove them for cage cleaning. What works best to remove the piggies happily and safely?

Hi and welcome

Try the tips in this guide here: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

You can use their carrier with a bit of hay and a little veg treat to keep them feeling safe and distracted while you do your work. A laundry basket with a towel over it can also do the trick.

My tip would to pick them up in a tunnel or hidey, or if you can, clean half the cage at a time and just put up a barrier so they can stay in the cage until they get more used to being picked up or held x

You can try and put their cage in an area of the house which is used frequently so they get used to you and will slowly become more confident around you. I know this doesn’t directly answer your question but it will help you overall to get your piggies used to you. Hope it helps

Mine used to be in the shed but since being pregnant have come inside so I can monitor them and already they are so confident around me and less timid than before

I have 5 piggies to move from their c&c cages to the garden - which means going upstairs each time. What I do is put a pet carrier in the cage, throw some veggies or nuggets in it, and wait till they all go in, shut the door and move 3 of them at once. The other two are dead easy to pick up, so I just carry them both at the same time.

I'm going to try moving them out with a hidey, hopefully it works for them. Thank you everyone for the tips!

I’ve found that the snuggle sacks are great for moving them in. At first I had to strategically place them so they’d run into them and could be moved. Now they go in while I hold it open and happily get transported

I use a big pink trug to transport my two boys Bill and Ted out into their run and then back inside at teatime. I used to carry one out and then go back inside for the other, but the trug makes life so much easier!

Hey! What I do for my new skittish pigs is put them in their snuggle sacks / little beds and lift them out into their play area. That way they don’t feel like they’re in the air with a human they don’t trust yet, but rather in their cozy bed. Or I clean half the cage and they stay in the other half, then I do the other. My comfortable piggies love cleaning time. Hang in there you will gain your piggies trust and they’ll be your best friends in no time, friends that use you for veggies 😜❤️ Hope this helps

Back