• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage Sizes?!?

Piggiesxoxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
image.png A lot of different sites say different things and I wanted to make sure I get this right! I have one piggy right now and I might get another (Pumpkin is from a pet store, but I learned how it's better to get them from shelters!) and I was wondering would this be a good size cage for 1-2 cavys?

That would be a great size for 2 piggies :nod: I think if it's 2 boys it should be slightly longer, by 1 grid maybe... not sure though I just know boars need a bit more room than sows to run around x

As @Beans&Toast has said, two girls should be ok for that setup but boys would probably need a 5x2 grid setup. Your piggy would more than likely be a lot happier with a friend ;)

We've just moved our boys inside for the cooler months, three pairs of boars each have a 5x2 with a 2x1 loft set 2/3 of the way up the bottom grids to reduce the angle of the ramp :)

:agr: With the above posts. Even though there’s a loft it doesn’t count towards floor space. If you have boars you need a 5x 2 lower level to ensure harmony.

Reactions: Tim
I was planning on buying this very same one income tax time for my piggies. But I will be adopting 2 more soon so will be going a different route

image.jpeg
Old Picture ^^^^^
I realized the shipping was very expensive and I might want to get a different cage anyway, some one said I needed more floor space, does anyone have any websites where they found good cages? (Two boars so a 2x5 probably) Preferably <$80?
Or is it cheaper to make your own C & C cage? Where would I get the materials? I just want to make sure I have the right cage! Right now I have a small pet smart one before I learned it's TERRIBLE for them and I'm trying to find a new big enough cage! So please help me (and Pumpkin!) find a new cage: thanks!

You don’t have to have a correx base with grids. My OH built a plywood base with small upstand all round. Or it can sit on the floor directly with a waterproof layer underneath (shower curtain or table cloth. I’m not sure where in the US you can get grids and connectors (cable ties can also be used to tie a structure together). In the UK Wayfair used to sell a shelving unit that was grids and connectors. You can also find them on EBay and sometimes on Amazon. I got my first cubes and connectors sold as a shelving unit from a hardware store. Correx was expensive so that’s why the OH built me a base for the floor. There are many examples of home built cages here on the forum.

Back