• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Livvysquish

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey! I've been wondering about cavvy shows here in the UK and was contemplating entering my pigs (once the pandemic is over) as I think they're gorgeous with lovely soft fur and big eyes and tick off a few perfect standards for coronets. I'm not sure what the general opinions of these cavvy shows are and don't wont to contribute to something icky. I'd love to here some opinions on the shows. Also maybe about my pigs from somebody with experience in cavvy shows?

Attachments

• 20210130_064029.jpg
    20210130_064029.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210130_064319.jpg
    20210130_064319.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 17
:wel: I’m not sure what others think but I am not a fan of showing. I also own horses and dogs.
Showing (in all species) leads to more and more selective breeding (to try achieve those desirable traits). So many animals are suffering genetic health complications as a result. You only need to look at the health implications as a result of selective breeding in dogs to achieve what they call “breed standards”. We are now seeing a rise in this in equine also.
Why should we be judging animals on how “close to desirable standards” (set by humans may I add) they are? All animals are perfect and deserve love, despite whether they win rosettes or not.
That’s not to say I’m against all animal sport - providing the animal is happy in a job, performs for their own mental and physical well being and welfare standards are high. But showing for me is a no go.
I see it too much in my profession, unwanted animals because they simply aren’t good enough. Too many people who value showing or sport (and winning) more than they do the animal itself.

really sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear (and others may disagree), but it’s my opinion and something I’m not afraid to voice in a campaign to improve welfare and reduce breeding.

your piggies are gorgeous! Thanks for the pics :love:

I not sure it's against the rules to discuss shows.
Many members have shown piggies and we openly support each other. It's also great time to meet and support piggies.
They are threads telling you about shows etc. @Livvysquish your piggies look great.
Due to virus no shows . Fundrasing .. meets are on hold. . .

:wel: I’m not sure what others think but I am not a fan of showing. I also own horses and dogs.
Showing (in all species) leads to more and more selective breeding (to try achieve those desirable traits). So many animals are suffering genetic health complications as a result. You only need to look at the health implications as a result of selective breeding in dogs to achieve what they call “breed standards”. We are now seeing a rise in this in equine also.
Why should we be judging animals on how “close to desirable standards” (set by humans may I add) they are? All animals are perfect and deserve love, despite whether they win rosettes or not.
That’s not to say I’m against all animal sport - providing the animal is happy in a job, performs for their own mental and physical well being and welfare standards are high. But showing for me is a no go.
I see it too much in my profession, unwanted animals because they simply aren’t good enough. Too many people who value showing or sport (and winning) more than they do the animal itself.

really sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear (and others may disagree), but it’s my opinion and something I’m not afraid to voice in a campaign to improve welfare and reduce breeding.

Fully understand what you are saying.
Forum only support fun shows and it's a great time to meet . .support a charity . With a piggie or not. . . Not a breeder insight
20190324_142724.jpg
This is Mrs Dougal being pignapped. Lol.

Fully understand what you are saying.
Forum only support fun shows and it's a great time to meet . .support a charity . With a piggie or not. . . Not a breeder insight
View attachment 165963
This is Mrs Dougal being pignapped. Lol.
Ahh look at her! 😍 I would want to pignap her too. But she would drive my boys crazy 😂
Fully in support of fun shows. Especially when they are for a good cause 😊😊

I did see some guinea pigs shown at a country fair we went to.
Personally I would never put mine through that.
Lone piggies stuck in tiny cages with 100s of people milling around all day.
That’s a piggy nightmare.

Your piggies are quite stunning - you know that they are 🌟 stars without anyone else telling you.

I don't think its worth it just for some 🏆
If you just want to be told your piggies are beautiful post as many pictures as you like and we will kindly oblige.
Any day trip out can be rather stressful for a shy usually house bound animal like a piggie especially when they are going somewhere unfamiliar and noisy where they will not be able to hide and will be touched by strangers. So with any trip out you really have to weigh up the positives and negatives. Positives; you might have a nice day. Negatives; stressed out piggies and contributing to breeding selectively for looks.
I would definitely avoid.

I definitely think it's too stressful for them.
I took my gerbils to one once and they didn't sleep a wink while they were there (almost all the day), as soon as they were home they fell asleep on me.
It's a nice opportunity to meet other owners, (potentially win something) but you can do that on here so I don't think it's worth the stress and exhaustion. If you want to show off your piggies on here please do because I'm sure all members can agree that we love to look at pigtures.
Maybe we can have a virtual show without the stress, although we do have photo competitions so those are very similar and fun :)

Hey! I've been wondering about cavvy shows here in the UK and was contemplating entering my pigs (once the pandemic is over) as I think they're gorgeous with lovely soft fur and big eyes and tick off a few perfect standards for coronets. I'm not sure what the general opinions of these cavvy shows are and don't wont to contribute to something icky. I'd love to here some opinions on the shows. Also maybe about my pigs from somebody with experience in cavvy shows?

On signing up the forum you ticked a box to say that you both read, and agree to abide by, the forum terms and rules. These rules prohibit the discussion of breeding and showing on the forum (which generally go hand in hand). You can find a copy of the rules here Terms of Service And Forum Rules

I agree with everyone else, and as a forum we don’t support shows as they’re purely unethical. I remember on a breakfast show several years ago there were about 3/4 people on who were pet show entrants, they brought their pets with them too (I’m pretty sure they were guinea pigs). They tried to make it sound nice, but the last guy let it slip that they have a shortened lifespan due to being in these shows to which the other owners shot him daggers, like it was meant to be a secret. But it’s true, these sort of stressful situations do shorten lifespan and are ultimately unfair on the animals involved.
The only piggy showing I agree with are ones held by rescues that are purely fun categories and help to raise funds. Cavy Corner is a rescue that has a show that you pay to enter and win rosettes if your piggies win, the categories aren’t really appearance based (I’ll put a picture at the bottom which shows categories). I’m sure some other rescues may also do a similar thing, but it’s the only pet showing that is ethical and purely for fun rather than competition - as it should be!
405F9CCA-093B-4D68-B382-6AE401EC8D8F.jpeg

Oh I fully agree with the breeding stuff, I find it a bit sickening tbh and would never breed my piggies as they're my babies. And I see how shows can set an unhealthy view for owning animals and their standards. 😊 its definitely made me think, thank you! I think I'd only ever do a fun/charity show.

I not sure it's against the rules to discuss shows.
Many members have shown piggies and we openly support each other. It's also great time to meet and support piggies.
They are threads telling you about shows etc. @Livvysquish your piggies look great.
Due to virus no shows . Fundrasing .. meets are on hold. . .
Thank you 😊

The shows I've been to . . Think it's 4 I've only took 2 piggies to the 1. only ever seen tons love for piggies and never seen a stressed one. . Some enjoy the fuss.
These shows I'm talking about are Fun Charity days out . . With or without piggie.
The people who run the shows are rescue and I'm sure they wouldn't want and unnecessary stress..
Breeders are @@@@@ i can't say or I get told off. Let's say every piggie I've had been rescue or I've stolen :doh: as being abused.

I agree with everyone else, and as a forum we don’t support shows as they’re purely unethical. I remember on a breakfast show several years ago there were about 3/4 people on who were pet show entrants, they brought their pets with them too (I’m pretty sure they were guinea pigs). They tried to make it sound nice, but the last guy let it slip that they have a shortened lifespan due to being in these shows to which the other owners shot him daggers, like it was meant to be a secret. But it’s true, these sort of stressful situations do shorten lifespan and are ultimately unfair on the animals involved.
The only piggy showing I agree with are ones held by rescues that are purely fun categories and help to raise funds. Cavy Corner is a rescue that has a show that you pay to enter and win rosettes if your piggies win, the categories aren’t really appearance based (I’ll put a picture at the bottom which shows categories). I’m sure some other rescues may also do a similar thing, but it’s the only pet showing that is ethical and purely for fun rather than competition - as it should be!
View attachment 165972
Hey, thanks your the advice 😊 seeing as a few people already are against cavvy shows, its definitely put me off for sure especially reading this. I said in another reply that I'd probably only do fundraiser/charity shows after reading about the so called "professional" inhumane ones. I have 4 piggies and would only take my most relaxed and outgoing ones to the charity shows haha. My other two would be petrified.

I don't think its worth it just for some 🏆
If you just want to be told your piggies are beautiful post as many pictures as you like and we will kindly oblige.
Any day trip out can be rather stressful for a shy usually house bound animal like a piggie especially when they are going somewhere unfamiliar and noisy where they will not be able to hide and will be touched by strangers. So with any trip out you really have to weigh up the positives and negatives. Positives; you might have a nice day. Negatives; stressed out piggies and contributing to breeding selectively for looks.
I would definitely avoid.
Hey, I would only ever do fundraiser/charity shows with rescues and no breeding! 😊😇 the two piggies i shown are very relaxed and love a fuss haha my other hardly like being out the cage never mind a show haha.

Hey, thanks your the advice 😊 seeing as a few people already are against cavvy shows, its definitely put me off for sure especially reading this. I said in another reply that I'd probably only do fundraiser/charity shows after reading about the so called "professional" inhumane ones. I have 4 piggies and would only take my most relaxed and outgoing ones to the charity shows haha. My other two would be petrified.
I wouldn't attendant a show . . Unless It was fun and non stressful for poop machines. .
They great to meet and learn loads about caring for piggies. . Buy goods and support rescue who are desperate for money to help piggies who are not wanted. . . which is not piggies fault.

Just told Mrs Dougal about your boys. She's doing her hair . View attachment 165973
Bags packed. Taxi :dri: booked
Shes adorable 😍
The shows I've been to . . Think it's 4 I've only took 2 piggies to the 1. only ever seen tons love for piggies and never seen a stressed one. . Some enjoy the fuss.
These shows I'm talking about are Fun Charity days out . . With or without piggie.
The people who run the shows are rescue and I'm sure they wouldn't want and unnecessary stress..
Breeders are @@@@@ i can't say or I get told off. Let's say every piggie I've had been rescue or I've stolen :doh: as being abused.
Sadly two of my pigs were a gift off my bf from pets at home 😭 but my other two were rescued from an accidental litter

Back