• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Contemplating an extra piggy...

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
I'm not very hopeful, and I'm a bit cross with the previous owner, and with piggy daddy for not doing a basic health check. Seems he was shown some other piggies in good health then the sick one was shoved in the travel box before he got a proper look at her. There's definitely ringworm on her neck which is bad enough but this floppy business looks like a stroke or something neurological anyway...

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
On poor piggy. If she pulls through keep her well away from all the others until the ringworm clears up (obvious and I know you will but some people wouldn't think of doing that in the excitement of getting a new piggy). I wish her well and my fingers and toes and arms and legs are crossed for her.

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
I'm so sorry you've seemingly been tricked into taking a sick pig. Doing it with your eyes open is one thing, but doing it this way is so unfair :(.

Fingers crossed for her (and you).

VickiA

Staff member
I'm so sorry that you have been duped into taking a sick piggy. Sadly there are some very unscrupulous breeders out there.

Bill & Ted

Teenage Guinea Pig
They should be reported, it’s awful, and to think you travelled all that way and they were prepared to hoodwink your husband like that, despicable!

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Ok so... Blodwen piggy (she now has a new name, piggy daddy decided at the vet and registered her as that) has ringworm and some back tooth spurs but she perked up a bit when she met amazing pig whispering vet Alessandro. He thinks she is just very very scared and is acting like a floppy potato creature in the hope we'll go away. Not paralysed at all, just pretending. Heart, lungs, guts, eyes all healthy. Needs syringe feeding, which will be fun with ringworm, we'll all end up catching it and have to have seperate sets of clothes for each set of pigs and even more hot washing- ringworm is exactly what we dont need having successfully cleared fur mites! But, Blodwen's alive and clocking up the vet bills like someone who expects to be a long term resident :) I really expected a pts situation...
20181108_202050.jpg

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
Oh that's great news...well, not great, but great in comparison to what you were thinking. She's a pretty little thing :wub: is she young? Her nails have that small, pointed look about them.

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Couldnt get any accurate info at all from the previous owner... we really werent expecting a crazy breeder giving away misfits, she was advertised as a lone female pet aged 7 months who needed rehoming. Then we were told she was a year old and had been part of a group. Piggy daddy says there were lots of piggies there plus some barking dogs... but only this one being given away... most strange but hopefully if we can fix her up she will be a nice passive floof companion for Jezebel! She weighs 860g and is quite small which suggests not quite a year old yet...

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
My late Eleanor was an ex breeder pig. She was lilac with pink eyes, pregnant with her second litter and just a baby herself when she was dumped probably by her looks :( Her babies all came out with pink eyes too but thankfully the rescue were able to rehome them. This is why I hate some breeders and some people who show. If the pig isn’t classed as being ‘pretty’ they’re not wanted.

Before Eleanor, I actually phoned a local breeder (I was desperate for a friend and didn’t know much about rescues at the time) and the lady on the phone said she had a pregnant female due to have babies but once the babies were born, I could have the mum as she would be ex breeder stock and no longer needed. I went down the rescue route and adopted Eleanor but I often wonder about that poor little girl :(

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
We had no idea Blodwen was a reject from a breeder, I really hope she's not pregnant but hopefully her unique funny looks have saved her from that! She's hiding in a corner but is at least moving round a bit now and she seemed to like sitting in piggy daddy's jumper... which now needs boil washing of course :)

VickiA

Staff member
Well I am truly glad that Blodwen is OK. Breeders (not all I hasten to add but certainly some) will say anything to get rid of a piggy that has problems. It is may be the identification of dental issues that prompted her to be listed on free ads. Her story is not uncommon. Lucky she has come into your hands. Her life has just taken its first positive turn in a while. look forward to seeing more of her on the forum.

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
At the end of the day Some people are so obsessed and driven by money that they will put it first before the animal. It winds me up.

Last edited:

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Early days but Blodwen ate a whole slice of cucumber with critical care spread on it, she is definitely a daddy's girl and will only eat and look a bit alert when piggy daddy is holding her... really hope we can fix her! I might put some peed on hay and poops from the other piggies in her cage later, see if it makes her a bit more interested in things... she's just sitting with her face in the corner trembling right now...

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
Early days but Blodwen ate a whole slice of cucumber with critical care spread on it, she is definitely a daddy's girl and will only eat and look a bit alert when piggy daddy is holding her... really hope we can fix her! I might put some peed on hay and poops from the other piggies in her cage later, see if it makes her a bit more interested in things... she's just sitting with her face in the corner trembling right now...
how about try playing some happy guinea pig noises on youtube to her. I have had success with this when my sow has been a bit off before. Its the first video that comes up on youtube called happy guinea pig wheek i think. I know your pig is in quite a bad way, but could help