• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crusty Looking Eyes

Streaky

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

Streaky has been getting crusty eyes lately, I’ve been told by the nurse to bathe cotton balls in warm water and clean his eyes in that way (this was a couple weeks back when he had his nails trimmed), I’ve been told to clean his eyes everyday as they can get dirty however, the past couple of weeks he’s developed a sort of ‘crustiness’ underneath/ around the eyes? Mainly on his right one, he’s booked in for an appointment tomorrow morning at the vets, so hopefully it gets sorted! And isn’t too serious *fingers crossed*.
Has anyone else had this problem with their Guinea Pig? Streakys eyes are nice and clear but it’s just the left of residue/ crust that is left over.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Streaky has been getting crusty eyes lately, I’ve been told by the nurse to bathe cotton balls in warm water and clean his eyes in that way (this was a couple weeks back when he had his nails trimmed), I’ve been told to clean his eyes everyday as they can get dirty however, the past couple of weeks he’s developed a sort of ‘crustiness’ underneath/ around the eyes? Mainly on his right one, he’s booked in for an appointment tomorrow morning at the vets, so hopefully it gets sorted! And isn’t too serious *fingers crossed*.
Has anyone else had this problem with their Guinea Pig? Streakys eyes are nice and clear but it’s just the left of residue/ crust that is left over.
Please have his checked for a) a respiratory infection, b) something stuck underneath the lid or c) for a fungal infection around the eye. Without a more exact picture your description fits any of these issues.

Streaky

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please have his checked for a) a respiratory infection, b) something stuck underneath the lid or c) for a fungal infection around the eye. Without a more exact picture your description fits any of these issues.
Yes, I was thinking it may be one of those issues. Thanks!

Streaky

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Went to the vets this morning and we were giving eye drops for Streaky to be taken 2 times a day for about a week. The vet couldn’t hear him having trouble breathing and he didn’t have a snotty nose. But I was told to check for other symptoms over the next week or so. His eyes are looking better already! Hopefully this is the end of all the worry. :tu: