• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does My Pet Have Fungal Infection?

Piggy996

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here because I'm worried about my guinea pig. He's a couple of months old and recently I've noticed white spots behind his ears, it looks like crusty skin. Do you think this is a fungal infection? I've bathed him just in water a week ago, do you think it might be connected? Here's the picture
wMbna

IMG_20170912_102603.jpg

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here because I'm worried about my guinea pig. He's a couple of months old and recently I've noticed white spots behind his ears, it looks like crusty skin. Do you think this is a fungal infection? I've bathed him just in water a week ago, do you think it might be connected? Here's the picture
wMbna

View attachment 70604
Yes it could well be fungal infection, l doubt its related to the bath. There is no need to bath piggies especially young ones, unless they have a skin issue.
Book him in with your vet for a check up and his friend just in case.

Yes it could well be fungal infection, l doubt its related to the bath. There is no need to bath piggies especially young ones, unless they have a skin issue.
Book him in with your vet for a check up and his friend just in case.
Thanks, in the meantime I bought a cream the vet told me, it's called Canesten (1% chlotrimazol) and I hope it'll get better soon. By the way, I gave him a bath because he likes to go in dusty places so we decided just to give him a short bath in water, we didn't wet his head

M
Thanks, in the meantime I bought a cream the vet told me, it's called Canesten (1% chlotrimazol) and I hope it'll get better soon. By the way, I gave him a bath because he likes to go in dusty places so we decided just to give him a short bath in water, we didn't wet his head
Ha, typical boy getting messy!

UPDATE:
Yesterday I put the cream on his ear twice, and today it already seems better? The skind doesn't look so white and crusty anymore, do you think it can already get better like that? I know I should apply the cream for a week but I was surprised of the result after just one day :)

Keep up with the cream and get to the vet. They will be able to help.

Hello people, it's me again :) I've been applying the cream to my Piggy's ears for almost 2 weeks now, his fungal infection seems to be gone. I have a question, do you think I should give him a short bath? I'm asking this because his fur became very messy after applying the cream for so long, he looks like a little hedgehog now :D
IMG_20170919_185919.jpg

GPs find baths really stressful and they don't really like them. My girlies get the odd bum bath but nothing more than that really.

Have you gone to the vet yet? It looks exactly like the ringworm my pig broke out with recently, and in that case you will need to do a lot more to get rid of it than topical cream. Ringworm sheds thousands of tiny fungal spores, and is super contagious to you, and all other animals. All fabrics would need to be washed in very hot water and preferably with bleach, all hard surfaces soaked in a good quality antifungal disinfectant like F10, and all porous objects like wooden toys and hideys would need to be thrown away. Otherwise, your home will stay infested (spores live up to 18 months without a host) and your pig will only get reinfected. My pigs are on an oral medication for 9 weeks and an intensive house cleaning regimen. You'll want to bring your piggy to the vet to test for ringworm, it's very very common in guinea pigs and will only go away for a short period of time if all you're using is topical cream

Back