• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

evafoss12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it’s a fungal infection or not but my 1 year old female guinea pig has a small patch of dry scaly skin behind each ear. She has had it for a long time but I always thought it was normal. She also gets flaky ears sometimes and often has a small (but not abnormal) amount of crust around her eyes.

Every guinea pig has a bald patch behind each ear, that is normal. If however the skin is flaky then yes do take her to a vet.

I'm not sure if it’s a fungal infection or not but my 1 year old female guinea pig has a small patch of dry scaly skin behind each ear. She has had it for a long time but I always thought it was normal. She also gets flaky ears sometimes and often has a small (but not abnormal) amount of crust around her eyes.

Hi! If the bald area behind the ears is symmetrical with the other side, then you need not worry.
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

PS: small mild fungal patches can be treated with a very thin dab of antifungal cream. Anything with white crusts and hair loss like in the ringworm guide needs to be seen and treated. Any larger areas of mild fungal should also be checked by a vet.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Back