• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry skin around the eye and hair lose

BobaBabyUwU

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I'm relatively new here and I only signed up to ask a question about my Guinea Pig, Boba. I got Boba about a week and a half ago and he is no older then a year. About 5 days ago Boba started losing hair around his right eye and I noticed the skin was very dry. (Sorry if its blurry)
20200120_124949.jpg

I was wondering is anyone knew what this is? And do you know if its common and what should I do? I'm sorta freaking out right now 😅... I'm sorta broke and have enough for the vet but wanna know if there is anything i could do before spending money... thxs in advance!

That looks typical of a fungal infection. It does need a vet to accurately diagnose and prescribe an appropriate strength treatment

Hello! I'm relatively new here and I only signed up to ask a question about my Guinea Pig, Boba. I got Boba about a week and a half ago and he is no older then a year. About 5 days ago Boba started losing hair around his right eye and I noticed the skin was very dry. (Sorry if its blurry)
View attachment 131667

I was wondering is anyone knew what this is? And do you know if its common and what should I do? I'm sorta freaking out right now 😅... I'm sorta broke and have enough for the vet but wanna know if there is anything i could do before spending money... thxs in advance!

Hi!

Please have your guinea pig vet checked for ringworm (the most contagious form of a fungal skin infection that can also transmit to humans and other species pets). Because exposure and infection has happened at the pet shop and you have in effect been sold - knowingly, I may add - damaged ware, your customer rights allow you to reclaim any vet cost resulting from this from the shop or ask them to cover any cost straight away. Please do NOT re-sell your piggy to the shop for the duration of the treatment as this is a trick so you have no rights or say in the quality of treatment and no handle to complain if something is going wrong. :(
This guide here informs you on your customer rights and how things are handled in various countries: What to check for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites, ringworm&URI)

Please DO NOT try home treating on spec and ending up paying a lot more without being able ro reclaim it by that time with a much more advanced cased and a real battle on your hands to get on top of the thousands of invisible long lived spores spread everywhere, not just the acute outbreak.
Ringworm is one of these things where you can't cut corners if you want to get on top of once and for all - you do it at your own peril unless you want more patches all over the piggy body and on yourself...
Good hygiene and treatment is key. A vet grade antifungal (and not just antibacterial) disinfectant is your best friend.
This guide here contains pictures of how a typical outbreak is running its due course when treated correctly. It also lists treatment products that work (cheap brioad spectrum pet shop products and creams are too weak and just another way for the shop to take your money) and what you need to do prevent the spores from spreading and causing more outbreaks in the months to come.
Please take the time to really read it and follow it, so you do not end with a never-ending nightmare: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi!

Please have your guinea pig vet checked for ringworm (the most contagious form of a fungal skin infection that can also transmit to humans and other species pets). Because exposure and infection has happened at the pet shop and you have in effect been sold - knowingly, I may add - damaged ware, your customer rights allow you to reclaim any vet cost resulting from this from the shop or ask them to cover any cost straight away. Please do NOT re-sell your piggy to the shop for the duration of the treatment as this is a trick so you have no rights or say in the quality of treatment and no handle to complain if something is going wrong. :(
This guide here informs you on your customer rights and how things are handled in various countries: What to check for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites, ringworm&URI)

Please DO NOT try home treating on spec and ending up paying a lot more without being able ro reclaim it by that time with a much more advanced cased and a real battle on your hands to get on top of the thousands of invisible long lived spores spread everywhere, not just the acute outbreak.
Ringworm is one of these things where you can't cut corners if you want to get on top of once and for all - you do it at your own peril unless you want more patches all over the piggy body and on yourself...
Good hygiene and treatment is key. A vet grade antifungal (and not just antibacterial) disinfectant is your best friend.
This guide here contains pictures of how a typical outbreak is running its due course when treated correctly. It also lists treatment products that work (cheap brioad spectrum pet shop products and creams are too weak and just another way for the shop to take your money) and what you need to do prevent the spores from spreading and causing more outbreaks in the months to come.
Please take the time to really read it and follow it, so you do not end with a never-ending nightmare: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Ok! I will take him to the vet as soon as I can! (Hopefully tomorrow...) thank you for the advice

Ok! I will take him to the vet as soon as I can! (Hopefully tomorrow...) thank you for the advice

Please read our ringworm hygiene guide.

In over a dozen years, we have just about stumbled into all the ways it can be transmitted and how to most effectively deal with the various angles. We have also had plenty of opportunity to learn what works and what not in terms of treatments.

All the best!

Please read our ringworm hygiene guide.

In over a dozen years, we have just about stumbled into all the ways it can be transmitted and how to most effectively deal with the various angles. We have also had plenty of opportunity to learn what works and what not in terms of treatments.

All the best!
Ok! I will surely read the guide! Thanks a bunch!

Very good advise above. Please let us know how you get on with the vets.

a couple of other things to note.

It’s not a good idea to feed muesli mix to piggies, it leads to selective eating. Look for a good (hay based) pellet and only feed a tablespoon per day. Hay should make up at least 80% of their diet, with veg 10% and pellets 5%

second and very important point - please start a vet fund now. Put away a little money each week/month whichever works best for you. Although they’re not very expensive with regards feeding, vet fees for guinea pigs can add up very quickly. You don’t want to be caught out again.

Lastly and also import - if Your piggy is alone then please think very seriously about getting him a friend (once he’s better). They’re not meant to be alone, and being so can lead to depression and being withdrawn. No amount of interaction with you can replace the interaction with another piggy. It would be better to go through a rescue so he can choose his own friend. When you do that, make sure the other piggy is the same sex. And also make sure the cage is big enough. 150x60cm is the recommended minimum for boars.

The following links will be useful soplease do have a read through when you have some free time.

Nugget Comparison Chart
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading
Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Companionship
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
veterinary fees - some important information
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Sorry for the information overload 😁

Thank you! I would like to add that we do have Hay in his diet! We are planning on getting him a bigger cage and a buddy real soon! Thank you for this advice. I am planning on updating u guys with the vet!

View attachment 131667

*Update*

We took Boba to the vet and they said it is a fungal infection. They gave him a shot and some antibiotics to take for a month. Thank you all for the help! ^^

His eye looks so much better now! He is much happier too. We r working on getting him a buddy as well. 😁
20200212_143609.jpg

Antibiotics do not heal a fungal infection; they can just temporarily suppress it. How piggy savvy is your vet?
He is not only taking antibiotics. He is taking liquid medicine, and a two different creams for his eye. (All for a month). And our vet has been working with all animals for 25 years (Guinea pigs is 15 years). The area I live in isn't the best and is kinda deserted so there isn't many vets that can help Guinea pigs.

He is not only taking antibiotics. He is taking liquid medicine, and a two different creams for his eye. (All for a month). And our vet has been working with all animals for 25 years (Guinea pigs is 15 years). The area I live in isn't the best and is kinda deserted so there isn't many vets that can help Guinea pigs.

What is the liquid medicine called?

Back