• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Finally a new guinea pig for my Piglet! A few bonding questions.

Sarah Jane

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First I’ll just provide a link to my previous Guinea pig URI, Vicks, just need some comport. In short, I got my Piglet at 4 weeks old and she came home with a URI.
D3E2C997-6351-4794-8E7E-951BF388C2AD.jpeg
She is now approx. 13 weeks old. After taking advice from this forum, I decided against getting her a friend knowing that she was sick until she was given the all clear. She was given the all clear last week by my vet and on Sunday I got her a friend!
A7924604-5016-4922-A6EC-38EB509AA8EF.jpeg
Flynn is a beautiful Abyssinian cross, about a year old and I rescued him from a local piggie shelter. He was adopted when he was 6 weeks old but was returned because he became aggressive to his older cage mate. He was desexed a few months ago and is much better with females! Piglet absolutely adores him, she’s often popcorning, chutting and trying to nuzzle him. Flynn is still unsure and is rumbling a lot when she approaches him as well as rumblestrutting sometimes. He hasn’t attacked her and often cuddles next to her when he is unsure or frightened by something he isn’t used to, but I’m wondering if this means they’re not a good match? They sometimes nip at each other without actually biting when saying they don’t like something but I figure this is pretty normal. There’s just a lot of rumbling coming from him at the moment and I love him so much and want him to have a forever home here. I know it can take a while for a bond to form, I’m just worried. He also rumbles when she tries to go into the hide he’s in, and she often sleeps under her wood bridge or another hide, will this pass? I theorise perhaps because he didn’t have a hide at the rescue that maybe he’s just very protective over it. He will let her in but will just rumble at her. I’ve seen this big, chonky boy popcorn in the cage and it makes my heart swell that he’s so happy. But he popcorned while rumbling tonight so maybe it was purring? I’m still trying to work out guinea pig behaviour and sounds!
I hope some of you can give me some insight and if I’ve left any details out, please let me know!

Have a read of some of the bonding and behaviour guides for clear information and advice.
To me this all sounds perfectly normal and healthy.
I have a husboar with 2 sows.
We have a lot of rumbling from Micah as he reminds them what a handsome boar he is.
Guinea pigs don’t always cuddle together to sleep.
Mine usually sleep in different places.
The ‘I want the place where you are’ is also quite normal behaviour.
I’m sure the experts can add more for you.

That’s great news I’m so happy for Piglet and Flynn. All the behaviour sounds normal. It can take a couple of weeks for things to settle. But it seems like a great match. 😍

Have a read of some of the bonding and behaviour guides for clear information and advice.
To me this all sounds perfectly normal and healthy.
I have a husboar with 2 sows.
We have a lot of rumbling from Micah as he reminds them what a handsome boar he is.
Guinea pigs don’t always cuddle together to sleep.
Mine usually sleep in different places.
The ‘I want the place where you are’ is also quite normal behaviour.
I’m sure the experts can add more for you.
Yay thank you! I have been reading the bonding behaviour but I wasn’t sure. Is the rumbling more for being a boar around a sow rather than annoyance in your opinion?

I have two boars and the dominant one, Percy rumbles at Pepper. I think it’s just him showing off. Pepper has never done it. Ever. So two boys together do it too.

Two exits are necessary so a piggy cannot get trapped inside. If they get trapped it can lead to fighting, bullying or biting as they don’t have a way of escape.

So the piggy who is inside it cannot be trapped inside by the other.
One exit hides can cause problems
I see. I don’t have one at the moment so I will have to buy one. They do have a wood bridge and a tunnel as well as another smaller hide so I hope that will do for now.

I use cardboard boxes with two doors cut into them. 👍🏻

Yay thank you! I have been reading the bonding behaviour but I wasn’t sure. Is the rumbling more for being a boar around a sow rather than annoyance in your opinion?

Boars around sows are constantly rumbling-strutting; in a cross gender situation, rumble-strutting by the boar means that he is displaying them to them. It is the sows that choose a boar, not vice versa - so he has to appeal to them; he does that by rumble-strutting. The more sonorous his rumble, the more attractive he is.

You will find that neutered boars living for the first time with sows have a phase when pretty much every word they say comes out as a rumble, food wheeks excepted. :D

Rumble-strutting has nothing to do with annoyance; it is a different sound (not a sharp r r r ) but a rolling, softer rrrrrrrrr. Rumble-strutting is how boars establish a hierarchy amongst themselves and impress the sows to become a 'husboar'. Rumble-strutting is also a mild dominance behaviour and this context is also being used by sows; mostly during bonding or when experiencing a high hormone output during a season or from ovarian cysts.

I hope that this helps you?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Boars around sows are constantly rumbling-strutting; in a cross gender situation, rumble-strutting by the boar means that he is displaying them to them. It is the sows that choose a boar, not vice versa - so he has to appeal to them; he does that by rumble-strutting. The more sonorous his rumble, the more attractive he is.

You will find that neutered boars living for the first time with sows have a phase when pretty much every word they say comes out as a rumble, food wheeks excepted. :D

Rumble-strutting has nothing to do with annoyance; it is a different sound (not a sharp r r r ) but a rolling, softer rrrrrrrrr. Rumble-strutting is how boars establish a hierarchy amongst themselves and impress the sows to become a 'husboar'. Rumble-strutting is also a mild dominance behaviour and this context is also being used by sows; mostly during bonding or when experiencing a high hormone output during a season or from ovarian cysts.

I hope that this helps you?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you! He is rumble strutting but mostly just rumbling. I will check out that thread.

Thank you! He is rumble strutting but mostly just rumbling. I will check out that thread.

He is simply a very, very happy boar having achieved the career dream of any boar! :wub:

I so love my own 'rumble-singers'.

Back