• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
We think the boys have fleas, poor babies. Is the best course of action to take them to the vet? Hope they can fit them in soon! Help please ☹️

We think the boys have fleas, poor babies. Is the best course of action to take them to the vet? Hope they can fit them in soon! Help please ☹️

Hi! There are no fleas species specific to guinea pigs; fleas from other mammals can jump on guinea pigs for a short time, but are not able survive on them. Please see a vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment, including which spray is safe to use for small pets if you need to disinfect the cage re. bugs.
Guinea Pig Vet Locator

Thanks @Wiebke i will do. They're white and kind of long. Will see when I can head to the vets

Thanks @Wiebke i will do. They're white and kind of long. Will see when I can head to the vets

That sounds like lice, but your vet will be able to give you a firm diagnosis and the correct treatment. All the best! ;)

Thank you! Going to search now. Can hopefully take them tomorrow. Means little sleep but rather that than them suffering :(

I've got an appointment for tomorrow! Phew!

I've got an appointment for tomorrow! Phew!

With the correct treatment, the worst of the discomfort should hopefully be over within the first 3 days of medicating.

With the correct treatment, the worst of the discomfort should hopefully be over within the first 3 days of medicating.
I'm glad. Should have gotten them to a vet earlier for a once over but work and children made it difficult to find time! Feel bad!

I'm glad. Should have gotten them to a vet earlier for a once over but work and children made it difficult to find time! Feel bad!

You sound like too observant an owner that it can be really bad yet. ;)

I hope so @Wiebke There weren't swarms of them so I hope they're not hidden inside their coats or anything!

I hope so @Wiebke There weren't swarms of them so I hope they're not hidden inside their coats or anything!

Generally the immune system in healthy, well kept pets is able to help with suppressing parasites. If you step in promptly, they never get past the stage of being a nuisance. Skin parasites and fungal is something that you should have seen within a couple of days ideally, but you can do it within regular opening hours.

Some lice strains can be rather difficult to deal with, so if the ivermectin that your vet is likely to prescribe is not effective, please contact us again and we can help with additional tips. There is not a product that is absolutely surefire against lice on the market at the moment, but often a combination can do the trick if needed. You do not want to overtreat, so try the ivermectin first.

I will do @Wiebke, thank you. Will update tomorrow. What should I put in their carrier? Hay, and a towel should be enough to catch wee? Or can I use one of their cage liners?

I will do @Wiebke, thank you. Will update tomorrow. What should I put in their carrier? Hay, and a towel should be enough to catch wee? Or can I use one of their cage liners?

Just seen your post and would love to help! Over the past few years and have been on numerous vet trips due to poorly piggys and I want to make them feel as comfortable as possible when travelling around.

What I normally do is use and carrier or fairly large storage box to transport my piggys in. I then put a layer of newspaper down to absorb any accidents my piggys might have and then put a comfort fleece/towel down. Also, I tend to put a handful of hay in the corner and my piggys favourite veggies so they feel as relaxed as possible!

Vet trips aren't the best thing for a piggy to do and can put them under a lot of stress so try to make them feel as comfortable as possible throughout the journey, making sure music is on too loud if you are traveling by car and giving them extra attention.

I hope your piggys feel better soon :)

Thanks for that @Aleisha no newspapers unfortunately so I'll use fleece and a towel underneath. They'll be getting a little extra cucumber and coriander tomorrow then I guess. Maybe a sliver of apple as well as a treat. Needs must but hope they survive it well.

Thanks for that @Aleisha no newspapers unfortunately so I'll use fleece and a towel underneath. They'll be getting a little extra cucumber and coriander tomorrow then I guess. Maybe a sliver of apple as well as a treat. Needs must but hope they survive it well.

This is what I do. A towel in the bottom with hay on top and some cucumber or other treat so they don't hate me too much lol

Just seen your post and would love to help! Over the past few years and have been on numerous vet trips due to poorly piggys and I want to make them feel as comfortable as possible when travelling around.

What I normally do is use a carrier or fairly large storage box to transport my piggys in. I then put a layer of newspaper down to absorb any accidents my piggys might have and then put a comfort fleece/towel down. Also, I tend to put a handful of hay in the corner and my piggys favourite veggies so they feel as relaxed as possible!

Vet trips aren't the best thing for a piggy to do and can put them under a lot of stress so try to make them feel as comfortable as possible throughout the journey, making sure music is on too loud if you are traveling by car and giving them extra attention.

I hope your piggys feel better soon :)

I know newspaper isn't the best thing to put down but I tend to cover the whole of the carrier floor in fleece so my piggy is not able to reach it, I just want to be on the safe side, thank you anyway!

Bribery goes a long way @Lady Kelly :-D
I can report that the boys were perfectly behaved. They sat still while the doc sprayed trm wit lice treatment. Now to wait a week and see if they've cleared. I already saw some dead ones when i moved them back to their cage so fingers crossed!

Hopefully it has worked then. Your Piggies may need a second treatment to catch any that hatched after the treatment. Unless, of course the spray kills the eggs too.

Back