• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Isn't Working..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay so I've made the change from woodshavings to fleece. Only thing is when the pigs pee, it just sits in a puddle on the fleece... :td:

I'd like to use some kind of fleece but the piggies are running around and getting pee over their paws

I've got a fluffy fleece with a layer of paper underneath, and as you can see when they pee it's just sitting there.

Any ideas to stop the puddles of pee?

1456514034281642162696.jpg 1456514093878-1537489469.jpg

What is that you have put down? It needs to be fleece, like the sort of stuff cheap blankets (or clothing) are made from. You can buy it by the yard or get a couple of cheap blankets to cut down. Needs to be 100% polyester.

Second thing, it needs to have something properly absorbant underneath it, a sheet of newspaper won't cut it. Puppy pads or some sort of wadding would be better, that will draw the fluid down through the fleece.

Thirdly, once you have the fleece, before you use it you need to wash it a few times with soap powder to strip it and make sure it wicks moisture through, rather than repelling it.

Hope that helps.

Righto. Firstly not all fleece works well as bedding. Polar fleece is the best. It can be trial and error finding what works for you. Personally I've had no success with teddy bear fleece like yours.
Secondly, have you washed it to make it wick (draw fluid through). If not, you have to wash it 2 or 3 times before you use it otherwise the piggies' wee won't go through and will just sit on top.
I've had some right disasters where fleece is concerned!

What is that you have put down? It needs to be fleece, like the sort of stuff cheap blankets (or clothing) are made from. You can buy it by the yard or get a couple of cheap blankets to cut down. Needs to be 100% polyester.

Second thing, it needs to have something properly absorbant underneath it, a sheet of newspaper won't cut it. Puppy pads or some sort of wadding would be better, that will draw the fluid down through the fleece.

Thirdly, once you have the fleece, before you use it you need to wash it a few times with soap powder to strip it and make sure it wicks moisture through, rather than repelling it.

Hope that helps.

Aw I seee! I don't think this is 100% polyester, it's more a fluffy material. I didn't realise :doh:

The piggies are loving it, but it's not getting rid of pee, so I think I'll try with proper fleece :P or even vetbed.

Apart from washing the fleece a few times before using it, as Tigermoth already said, you have to keep in mind that you can't wash it with fabric softener or otherwise it won't wick!

Righto. Firstly not all fleece works well as bedding. Polar fleece is the best. It can be trial and error finding what works for you. Personally I've had no success with teddy bear fleece like yours.
Secondly, have you washed it to make it wick (draw fluid through). If not, you have to wash it 2 or 3 times before you use it otherwise the piggies' wee won't go through and will just sit on top.
I've had some right disasters where fleece is concerned!

I feel so stupid now:mal:

Didn't realise it had to be a certain type of fleece and didn't realise it had to be washed a few times... I'll try that, thank you!

Although Beans seems to be liking it:drool:

20160226_194349.jpg

Apart from washing the fleece a few times before using it, as Tigermoth already said, you have to keep in mind that you can't wash it with fabric softener or otherwise it won't wick!

Thanks. I thought I was doing the right thing getting a nice thick cosy blanket for them, but it's no use so back to the drawing board! :xd:

Cheap 100% acrylyc or polyester bedspreads from primark work for me, especially for any 3 grid wide pen (they cover one 3x4 C&C cage or 2 2x3 C&C cages), but I am also using micro (anti-pil) or polar fleece by the metre from an online store like the Fleece Fabric | Plain Fleece or Cheap Fleece and Fur Fabrics Online | Abakhan, which has been standing up to constant use for years well in my experience and is the best for wicking away any pee. It does shrink somewhat when being washed at higher temperatures, so you need to factor that in, but when you cut it lengthwise, you get a change out of it for 2 grid wide pens.

Always remember to pre-wash 2-3 times (preferably at a higher temperature) to get the softener out and to never use softener with piggy fleece! Plain non-bio washing powder does for me.

@Wiebke, could you please link to an example of the kind of bedspread you're talking about? I have a 3x4 C&C and I find that the typical B&M fleece shrinks so much after washing that it doesn't cover the whole cage! I end up having to use two fleeces :no:

@Wiebke, could you please link to an example of the kind of bedspread you're talking about? I have a 3x4 C&C and I find that the typical B&M fleece shrinks so much after washing that it doesn't cover the whole cage! I end up having to use two fleeces :no:

I prefer these here (they don't wick quite as well as micro fleece, but they don't shrink)
upload_2016-2-26_21-41-50.jpeg

This is my current set-up. As it changes according to who is living with who, I have quite a number of fleeces of different sizes, widths and lengths to adapt to any layout. I use micro/polar fleece in the smaller pens.
upload_2016-2-26_21-43-30.jpeg

Ah, that looks like the slightly more plush/higher pile fleece I usually see at Dunelm. Thinking about it, the more plush fleeces are usually larger, daft me :mal:.

There's several types of fleece, which can be confusing!
The one which works best for me can be bought in a pack of two from b&m bargains for 3.99 or primark. They are very flat, sort of feels like a soft cotton. Often people see the fleece which is a bit deeper, similar to a dressing gown material if you know what I mean? I never liked those as the hay and such always got stuck but some people like them.

Glad its already working!
And be careful with the hay ball, there have been guinea pigs who got stuck their heads on them!

Glad its already working!
And be careful with the hay ball, there have been guinea pigs who got stuck their heads on them!

Thanks for the help they're loving it now:))

Yeah I seen that on here:(
I've already got rid of the metal hay rack cause I seen a piggy had got them self stuck on it and died. But I've check this hay ball and my pigs are too big to get their noses right into the space never mind their heads :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back