• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal Infection Shampoo Search; Usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnyng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm on a search for safe fungal infection shampoos for young pigs in the United States. Specifically Wisconsin if that makes a difference. I have a probably 4 month girl and shortly after getting her I realized her ear was infected. I picked up a cream to treat it while I waited to get into the vet. After seeing them I was basically told to just keep doing what I was doing and when I asked for other options of treatment I was told they didn't have anything because oral would be too strong and harm her and they did not do injections. I did insist on a culture to figure out for sure what it is so I'm currently waiting on a call on that. For now her ear has cleared up but I kept up with the cream and tonight as I took her out to put the cream on I realized she has two quarter sized bald spots on her top semi rear end and as well as on her rear end close to where a tail would be if they had them. I don't feel like this will clear up on its own and I cant find anything online when searching for fungal shampoos. I'm really concerned for her so please, any help will be appreciated.

Photos at the bottom will be all the photos I have collected within the time of realizing she had fungal. Anything from the ear is healing, the new bald spots are my concerns as of right now and why I ask for the shampoo. I know some photos, the newer spots, are not good quality, she wont let me touch them or moves when I am in the area.

pigpage.jpg

pigpage2.jpg

pigpage3.jpg

pigpage4.jpg

pigpage5.jpg

pigpage6.jpg

pigpage7.jpg

pigpage8.jpg

pigpage9.jpg

pigpage10.jpg

I'm more looking for the shampoo for her body to try and control the progressiveness of the fungal. As well as keep up on the cream. I just feel like it's progressing so fast that just a simple cream isn't going to help ger get rid of it. Like I mentioned her ear is much much better so I'm not worried about that and wouldn't use the shampoo on it anyhow.

I'm more looking for the shampoo for her body to try and control the progressiveness of the fungal. As well as keep up on the cream. I just feel like it's progressing so fast that just a simple cream isn't going to help ger get rid of it. Like I mentioned her ear is much much better so I'm not worried about that and wouldn't use the shampoo on it anyhow.

You will find all the necessary information in the links I have given you, including product names for the US. ;)

I will definitely be looking into that f10 disinfectant spray btw. So thank you for that link. I do have 6 piggies total and stress incredibly about the other 5. I always wash my hands and try to do anything with Her last so it won't transmit. Is it safe to spray on the Wooden hidies if they chew on them?

You will find all the necessary information in the links I have given you, including product names for the US. ;)
Oh okay, I'll read more into it later. I just skimmed it for right now seeing as I haven't gone to bed yet at all. Been up much past my bed time searching both my girls over vigorously. Like I said I stress. More like panic actually when it comes to them.

I will definitely be looking into that f10 disinfectant spray btw. So thank you for that link. I do have 6 piggies total and stress incredibly about the other 5. I always wash my hands and try to do anything with Her last so it won't transmit. Is it safe to spray on the Wooden hidies if they chew on them?

It is safe to spray wooden hideys, as long as you let it dry in well. I prefer the concentrate and dunk in any wooden hideys into the solution, to make sure that all cracks are reached. Generally, it is advisable that you deep clean once you start treating and then again at the end of the treatment, to make sure that nothing is carried on. Alternatively, replace all wooden hideys by the end of any treatment to make absolutely sure.

Itrafungol/sporonox dip has the advantage that it is mild enough to be used for piggies of any age and doesn't involve applying around sensitive areas like mouth, nose, eyes and ears, but it is still very effective. that is the reason why we recommend it. Make sure that you let the dip dry on the skin and that it really gets down to every inch of the skin.

It should also prevent any companions from coming down with it as long as it is still not acute. Not every companion will necessarily come down with it; but you don't want to gamble. I have had ringworm accidentally carried in by spores sitting on a non-infected piggy that passed its quarantine at the rescue without problems although I later learned that others in her haul were affected, and she never had it. All it takes is one spore... :(

So you're personally recommending the sporonax one to use? Because that was going to be my next question, I will definitely read the links but I also wanted to know what people recommended from experience and what they feel safe and comfortable using. Just so I know it's for sure worked before and hasn't harmed them. I get so panicky when I'm told to use human items on pigs because I know they're so senstive and I feel so uncomfortable doing it. So in advance sorry if I happen to basically ask the same question 3 different times and different ways.

I think Sporanox is an oral medication (similar to the UK Itrafungol) so is the ideal treatment. I know your vet is hesitant to use it though. Imaverol or Enicolazole dips are effective too, though am not sure how accessible this is in the US. An old friend used to correspond with a Vet tech in the US who I know used Sporanox for pigs at their practice.

I think Sporanox is an oral medication (similar to the UK Itrafungol) so is the ideal treatment. I know your vet is hesitant to use it though. Imaverol or Enicolazole dips are effective too, though am not sure how accessible this is in the US. An old friend used to correspond with a Vet tech in the US who I know used Sporanox for pigs at their practice.

Sporonox is oral and will likely need a vet prescription, but as it is working from the inside, it is actually the most effective way of treating an infected piggy; it has even cleared up one persistent case with a piggy with heart problems within a few days.
The other not yet visibly affected ones you can get way with a dip or a bath, as long as you are careful around any sensitive areas. A milder fungal shampoo should do the trick, as long as it removes any spores in the fur that could cause an outbreak.

I must admit that I have found it so much easier to treat ringworm with a larger number of piggies with oral medication than with a series of medicated baths every 3 days - when you have 16 or more piggies on fleece, it becomes a logistical nightmare just getting all the towels and fleeces washed in between rounds! It is also a lot easier when you are dealing with new piggies that can freak out when being bathed...

I have found the same, I had 15 pigs on Itrafungol at one point.

Just placed my order for the Malaseb Shampoo!
Active Ingredient(s): Miconazole Nitrate 2%, Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%
Fingers crossed this works.

Finally got two decent photos of the bald spots. Put cream on before the photo so that's why it isnt dry and flaky.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Malaseb tends to be really effective, so hopefully it will get on top of things. I know the last few weeks have been a bit of a nightmare. If you get the F10 for cleaning too as Wiebke suggested you will also have the hygiene aspect covered.

And again to just verify the f10 is completely safe if dried off of wooden hidies and then chewed on?

She hates hates having the cream rubbed on every night but she loves chin rubs!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back