• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea May Have Mites But Hates Water! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysticcat3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Newton has been very itchy and has been losing his hair (it might be stress.) I looked it up and his symptoms matched with fleas and mites. I've also notice white flecks on his butt (it looks like scruff or bits of his bedding to me.) Just in case he has mites, I want to give him a bath but he hates water. Like he flipped out even when I touched him with a wet napkin. I have a dry shampoo to spray him, but he doesn't like that either and the shampoo that I have is more for cleaning rather than fleas (its the Kaytee Quick & Clean Critter Shampoo.) Is there anything I can do for him besides getting another shampoo?

Mites are normally treated by a topical medication that you can get from the vet. If you take him for an appointment they'll prescribe you something for him.

My guinea pig Newton has been very itchy and has been losing his hair (it might be stress.) I looked it up and his symptoms matched with fleas and mites. I've also notice white flecks on his butt (it looks like scruff or bits of his bedding to me.) Just in case he has mites, I want to give him a bath but he hates water. Like he flipped out even when I touched him with a wet napkin. I have a dry shampoo to spray him, but he doesn't like that either and the shampoo that I have is more for cleaning rather than fleas (its the Kaytee Quick & Clean Critter Shampoo.) Is there anything I can do for him besides getting another shampoo?

Hi and welcome

Guinea pigs do NOT have species specific fleas, but they can have invisible mange mites that burrow their eggs in the skin; fur/hay mites where you can just about see the egg cases stuck to the hairs at the bum end (especially in lighter coloured guinea pigs) or pale running lice.
Guinea pigs can also get fungal skin infections, which can look very similar to mange mites in the early stages but require an entirely different treatment.

Mites need to be treated with a good ivermectin product of appropriate strength, for at least 3-4 rounds at the product specific interval and fungal infections require either a systemic oral fungal course of treatment or a course with a specific anti-fungal shampoo, depending on the findings of your vet.

Please do not treat on spec with unsuitable products and stay off any cheap broad spectrum shop stuff that is too low-dosed to clear any acute outbreak! Especially do not use disinfectants directly on the skin. They usually contain pesticides that are harmful to guinea pigs and at the worst can kill. A normal or a shop-bought broad spectrum insecticidal shampoo will not cure and only prolong any discomfort and suffering.

Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus

If your guinea pigs are new (2-3 weeks) and the infection/infestation must have happened or been pre-existing at the store, you can complain to the store and reclaim any vet cost from them together with the sales receipt.
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

As we have members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can tailor any advice to what is available and relevant where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear below your username in any post you make and saves all of us time. Thank you!

As you mention Kaytee, I assume that you are either US or Canada based, so I have added Guinea Lynx links, which contain products and brands available in the US. They also have a list of recommended vets for the US and Canada. A list of recommended UK vets is on the top bar.

You don't need to Bath him to stop him from scratching just use the stuff the vets given, plus if you Bath him you will rub the invermectin off.
When you need to bath him, which shouldn't be often. Only cover the feet & I revert to how I tested the water temperature for my kids. Always test the temperature with your elbow.

Newton is about 10 months old. Also I looked at those articles and his symptoms match Mange Mites the best. However, they seem very severe. Like his fur isn't covered in scabs he's just really itchy. So I don't know if I'm just overacting like do guinea pigs itch a lot? Or do they lose hair when they're stressed (because my sister works for a vet and told me that all animals shed when they're stressed, which explains he sheds like a maniac when I cut his nails).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back