• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Preston

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have had Aspen for 5ish months and have noticed she is a little reserved. Recently she stopped eating, and started sneezing a lot. We thought it was a cold and got her some medicine for it. Her sneezing has gotten better and she has started eating again, however now she is having balance issues and her eye is shriveling up. She definitely cannot see out of her eye well, or at all because she moves her head to see things with the other side of her head. Please help and share if you have had a similar problem!

15098343998547400817468314185896.jpg

IMG_20171104_173126.jpg

Poor aspen! I’m afraid I don’t have any experience in this- but I think you need to take her to the vets- they may be able to help you and get you both some answers.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the eyes are extremely delicate and can go downhill extremely quickly. In order to stop it from escalating to the point it needs removing you will need medicated eye drops asap. We have a vets locator in the top bar with vets recommended by members on here but it is UK based. If you aren't in the UK please let us know where you are based as there are members across the world that might be able to help point you in the direction

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the eyes are extremely delicate and can go downhill extremely quickly. In order to stop it from escalating to the point it needs removing you will need medicated eye drops asap. We have a vets locator in the top bar with vets recommended by members on here but it is UK based. If you aren't in the UK please let us know where you are based as there are members across the world that might be able to help point you in the direction
Is there any medicated eye drops you would recommend? And I'm sorry I didn't notice this was for the UK :/ I am located in Minnesota in the United States

That definitely needs a vet assessment to check for any puncture or scratch injury and to treat any infection. The loss of balance is concerning too. There are a lot of different antibacterial eyedrops out there that vets may prescribe... Leela was recently on one but I can't recall the name of the drop anymore. Best wishes for Aspen!

Is there any medicated eye drops you would recommend? And I'm sorry I didn't notice this was for the UK :/ I am located in Minnesota in the United States

It's predominantly UK but for everyone. Guinea lynx has a list of vets in your state http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php

I can't recommend an eye drop as it depends what the issue is. From the other symptoms you are describing I would think that the eye injury is secondary to an infection so you may need oral antibiotics

My girlfriend and I have had Aspen for 5ish months and have noticed she is a little reserved. Recently she stopped eating, and started sneezing a lot. We thought it was a cold and got her some medicine for it. Her sneezing has gotten better and she has started eating again, however now she is having balance issues and her eye is shriveling up. She definitely cannot see out of her eye well, or at all because she moves her head to see things with the other side of her head. Please help and share if you have had a similar problem!

View attachment 74302

View attachment 74303

Hi and welcome to the forum

Please have that eye seen and treated ASAP if you want to save it!

Make sure that you keep it well hydrated with visco tear gel (about 6 times a day), but you will also need a vet check and antibiotic eyedrops. Please discuss the use of visco tears, but they can keep your eye from shrivelling even though they will not heal the injury that is at the bottom of the problem and that your vet will have to judge as to whether the damage is too big to save or not.

My very skittish new arrival Nosgan managed to bash in his eye badly during a mad dash for safety a year ago; it was shrivelled and ulcerated, but thankfully not perforated. Thanks to prompt vet care and dedicated application of about three different gels and eye drops about 9 times a day I managed to save his eye against the odds. Nosgan even regained partial sight again but the surface of his eye has sustained permanent damage. It was a very close shave and could have easily gone the other way.

Every hour you wait can make the difference between keeping or losing that eye; it is really an emergency!

Hello and :wel: to our friendly forum! We have members from all over the world here and everyone is welcome! We are here to help you with any concerns you have with your piggies.

Thanks for all your replies everyone! Today we went to the vet and there was a ulcer in her eye that evolved into something more serious which the vet is not optimistic she will be able to keep her eye. On top of that they found that the balance issue might be a neurological disorder. It is indeed a very sad time for my girlfriend and I. Thanks for all the replies! Aspen will be taking her meds and hopefully make a swift recovery

Thanks for all your replies everyone! Today we went to the vet and there was a ulcer in her eye that evolved into something more serious which the vet is not optimistic she will be able to keep her eye. On top of that they found that the balance issue might be a neurological disorder. It is indeed a very sad time for my girlfriend and I. Thanks for all the replies! Aspen will be taking her meds and hopefully make a swift recovery

I am very sorry for the bad news! Fingers VERY firmly crossed! Sadly eye injuries and infections deteriorate very quickly if they are not seen and treated promptly. :(

We have got a general post-op care guide and several members with experience in caring for a guinea pig after an eye removal op if needs be.

Oh no! Poor Aspen that eye must be so painful for her! Hopefully the meds will make her feel more comfortable. What did the vet give her? I had 2 with hay poke in 2 weeks and I was given Isathal eye drops which cleared the problem up.

Aspen passed away today. Thanks all for your kind words about her and for the hope you lent.

Oh I am very sorry for your loss. When the time is right you are welcome to pay a tribute to her on our Rainbow Piggies thread.

Back