• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig newbie.

Gplover94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, another thread from me!

I have recently rehomed 2 boars from a rescue on Saturday (they are both definitely male and the lady showed me their bits). 6 and 12 weeks old.

I'm wondering how you all set up their cages? I have been told by the rescue lady that I should put newspaper on the bottom of the cage and plenty of hay on top so they can burrow.

However, I've noticed the smaller of the 2 (6 weeks old) is sneezing from the hay. I'd love to use some kind of fleece etc. Anyone have any advice? How do you set yours up?

She told me absolutely no ramps or anything they can climb on..

Thank you. X

Welcome! We would love to see pictures of your boys!

If they are indoor piggies then fleece or noodle bath mats is a great option! We use puppy pads underneath our fleece liners and I put a bath mat at the hay end of the cage as they hay doesn’t stick to them as badly.
You will also need a pet wash bag (from Amazon) so you don’t destroy your washing machine with hay!

Also what hay are you feeding them some brands can be more dusty than others, lots of members use haybox and that is premium hay that is virtually dust free!
Here is a picture of our set up!
C8AEC550-5DC9-4BFD-B9AA-FEF5957720E9.jpeg

I use newspaper as a substrate but not by itself as it isn’t absorbent enough. I use newspaper (or puppy pads), then aubiose and then cover the whole thing with a thick layer of hay. Being able to forage amongst hay and have it easily accessible all the time is good for them. It’s also a source of enrichment as they love to play in big piles of hay.

As they need big piles of hay all the time, then it would be best to look for a new source of hay and ensuring it is properly dust extracted. Changing to fleece, of course, won’t eliminate their exposure to dusty hay. I get my hay from Haybox and it is dust free.

Guinea pigs are ground roaming creatures and aren’t natural climbers. Therefore, using ramps needs to be done carefully and ensuring they aren’t too steep and have sides on them. Upper cage levels cannot be added to the cage size in any event. Whether you wish to add an upper level is up to you and your piggies. Personally though, my boars aren’t interested in upper levels. Ramps can sometimes be problematic for hormonal teenage boars if one claims if as his territory and won’t let the other up. or down.

You can of course use fleece - the guides on how to use it are below.
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

If they are indoor piggies then fleece or noodle bath mats is a great option! We use puppy pads underneath our fleece liners and I put a bath mat at the hay end of the cage as they hay doesn’t stick to them as badly.
You will also need a pet wash bag (from Amazon) so you don’t destroy your washing machine with hay!

Also what hay are you feeding them some brands can be more dusty than others, lots of members use haybox and that is premium hay that is virtually dust free!
View attachment 166578
I will definitely grab a pet wash bag thank you! They are indoor piggies. I'm noticing I can smell stale urine, which isn't nice and mustnt be nice for them either, so puppy pads seems a good way of absorbing it thanks.

I'm going to get some fleece liners for one side and do the other side with some hay as they love burrowing. Here is a picture I have of them when they were in the rescue a few days ago. It's the best one I have currently as trying to let them settle before disturbing them too much :)

Attachments

• IMG-20210127-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210127-WA0005.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 16

View attachment 166578
Sorry forgot to mention I'm using "pure pastures meadow hay" from the range pet section (I live in the UK)

They look gorgeous! You are doing the right thing letting them settle in! Puppy pads should help and fleece liners are very absorbent!
I haven’t heard of that hay before, it can be a bit or trial and error with hay finding the one that works for you and the piggies!

Thank you. I love them very much already!

I'll get some fleece liners and have a look for some dust free hay. Thanks for your advice

Make sure they have the space they need as well. 150x60cm minimum or a 2x5 c&c.

Back