• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig With Sore Eye, Not Sure What It Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKeiK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! My Guinea pig Chuck is 6months old and I noticed this sore on the bottom of his eye. It doesn't seem to be affecting him at all, no scratching, weeping from the eye, closing eye etc. Info that may or may not help: he lives with another Guinea pig, Ned who is just under 2 months younger than Chuck and they recently got a new cage. Could anyone please tell me if I should treat the eye or if it will heal itself. Thank you :) sorry for so many photos but it looks different from different angles! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi and welcome!

Please have it checked by a vet. if can be the beginning of fungal or it can be just a minor injury.

Hi and welcome!

Please have it checked by a vet. if can be the beginning of fungal or it can be just a minor injury.

Thank you for the quick reply, not sure how soon I will be able to see a vet but will call tomorrow. If it's fungal, is there any home treatment I could do?

Last edited:
Please be aware that we do not encourage home treating on spec. We will help with home care alongside medical treatment to support recovery and will help you make a decision whether a vet visit is indicated or not. Self-medication can go horribly wrong and at the worst be fatal (and, yes, we have had cases of that on here, much to all our distress!)

We cannot replace a vet visit. None of us is qualified to give a diagnosis, nor could any vet safely diagnose online without seeing and feeling a guinea pig. All we can do is show up avenues of enquiry that you may want to discuss with your vet.

You can find a recommended UK vets locator on the top bar.

Thanks for the replies! Taking him to the vet on Tuesday as they have a drop in :)

Thanks for the replies! Taking him to the vet on Tuesday as they have a drop in :)

Hopefully, by then you have a better idea of whether it is healing or getting worse.

Update: whatever it was has gone this afternoon, it now looks like a very tiny scratch! Strange how it was there for a few days but is now gone :D

Update: whatever it was has gone this afternoon, it now looks like a very tiny scratch! Strange how it was there for a few days but is now gone :D

That is good news! If it was the very beginnings of fungal, you'd noticed a deterioration by now. Both look very similar right at the start.

That is good news! If it was the very beginnings of fungal, you'd noticed a deterioration by now. Both look very similar right at the start.

I will remember that in the future, thanks for the helpful reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back