• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pigs Acting Strange and Hardly Moving

drewboulton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, just signed up to post this. My guinea pigs are acting strange. I’ve had them for two years, and they’re essentially wild Guinea pigs (they go out the entire day and we just shut them in at night) which means they’re not very tame. They don’t get easily spooked, and are usually calm. However, both are hardly moving, and they’re letting me stroke them all over, something they previously did not want me to do. Not sure about this behaviour, wondering if they’re ill and this is why they’re letting me be so close to them? Please help as it’s late at night and I’m really worried!

Hi, just signed up to post this. My guinea pigs are acting strange. I’ve had them for two years, and they’re essentially wild Guinea pigs (they go out the entire day and we just shut them in at night) which means they’re not very tame. They don’t get easily spooked, and are usually calm. However, both are hardly moving, and they’re letting me stroke them all over, something they previously did not want me to do. Not sure about this behaviour, wondering if they’re ill and this is why they’re letting me be so close to them? Please help as it’s late at night and I’m really worried!

Hi!

If you are based in the UK, then it is likely that your guinea pigs are either suffering from heat stroke (the symptoms you report are typical for that!)
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Alternatively, they have been badly frightened by a predator (cat, dog, fox, weasel, birds of prey, mice or rats). Please also consider that they could have eaten a poisonous plant or dog/fox urine soaked grass (which can be deadly when fresh).

Please see a vet ASAP to make sure that they are OK and bring them indoors into the coolest room as they are obviously not safe where they are. Heat stroke, fright or poison can all be fatal.

Back