• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pigs and Cats?

oofitsnaomi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My adorable hamster is getting quite old and is nearing the end of his life in maybe the next six months. Although I love him so much and would never want him to die, I have been thinking about getting another pet after he crosses the rainbow bridge. My parents have been considering a cat, which is amazing because I love cats SO MUCH. I do have some concerns about my guinea pigs though. Do cats attack guinea pigs? Should I get a lid for their cage? I grew up with cats and we didn't really take them upstairs (my guinea pigs live outside my room) but I'm just a little concerned if I do get a cat, my guinea pigs will be danger. Do any of you have cats? What has been your experience with guinea pigs and cats? Thanks!

If you are going to get cats then you need a really secure lid on a guinea pig cage. Cats will attack piggies. Guinea pigs will be stressed out by cats. Cats are predators, guinea pigs are prey. It is a cat's natural instinct to hunt prey.

If you are going to get cats then you need a really secure lid on a guinea pig cage. Cats will attack piggies. Guinea pigs will be stressed out by cats. Cats are predators, guinea pigs are prey. It is a cat's natural instinct to hunt prey.
oh wow thank you for that. I've seen some guinea care youtubers let their cats hang with their guinea pigs so I just needed clarification. Do you think a gate on the stairs would prevent a cat from getting upstairs?

oh wow thank you for that. I've seen some guinea care youtubers let their cats hang with their guinea pigs so I just needed clarification. Do you think a gate on the stairs would prevent a cat from getting upstairs?
Sorry to hear your hamster is ageing, but well done for thinking through potential issues with new pets :)

As Betsy says, your basic assumption should be that cats are predators and guinea pigs are potential prey. Not all cats are mighty hunters, but until you get to know the individual you have to assume that it is or you will, quite literally, by risking your GP’s lives.

Cats can jump a 6 foot fence and squeeze through remarkably small gaps, so if you’re thinking of a baby gate on the stairs I would expect a cat to be able to jump it with ease.

Personally, if I were introducing a cat to the house, I would make sure the cage was cat proof. It’s not worth the risk of a door left open.

Good luck :)

Great that you're thinking ahead. In short, yes absolutely cats are a danger to pigs. They are a natural predator and even playfulness may result in injury. I lost a piggie once to a neighbours cat who was unfortunately owned by my school teacher eek! They had loads of cats who were always pooing in our garden so my mum was less than impressed. Our piggie was in a secure run in the garden (obvs not secure enough) but the cat still got in & took the piggie. We found her under a caravan with a bite in her tummy. She was taken to the vet, stitched up and lasted a few months after that but she was never the same and passed aged 6 so had a good life but the cat definately had an impact.

Never risk it & secure the pigs always with cats or other rodent predators in mind. I do this in my outside run, you'll never be 100% safe but you can do your very best to keep all safe.

Good luck! x

I’d agree with the above posts. Cats are natural hunters and predators. You will need to ensure that your piggies are in a cage with a secure cat proof lid to ensure their safety. Many members do have cats so hopefully they will share their tips on securing their cages.

Sorry to hear your hamster is ageing, but well done for thinking through potential issues with new pets :)

As Betsy says, your basic assumption should be that cats are predators and guinea pigs are potential prey. Not all cats are mighty hunters, but until you get to know the individual you have to assume that it is or you will, quite literally, by risking your GP’s lives.

Cats can jump a 6 foot fence and squeeze through remarkably small gaps, so if you’re thinking of a baby gate on the stairs I would expect a cat to be able to jump it with ease.

Personally, if I were introducing a cat to the house, I would make sure the cage was cat proof. It’s not worth the risk of a door left open.

Good luck :)
Great that you're thinking ahead. In short, yes absolutely cats are a danger to pigs. They are a natural predator and even playfulness may result in injury. I lost a piggie once to a neighbours cat who was unfortunately owned by my school teacher eek! They had loads of cats who were always pooing in our garden so my mum was less than impressed. Our piggie was in a secure run in the garden (obvs not secure enough) but the cat still got in & took the piggie. We found her under a caravan with a bite in her tummy. She was taken to the vet, stitched up and lasted a few months after that but she was never the same and passed aged 6 so had a good life but the cat definately had an impact.

Never risk it & secure the pigs always with cats or other rodent predators in mind. I do this in my outside run, you'll never be 100% safe but you can do your very best to keep all safe.

Good luck! x
I’d agree with the above posts. Cats are natural hunters and predators. You will need to ensure that your piggies are in a cage with a secure cat proof lid to ensure their safety. Many members do have cats so hopefully they will share their tips on securing their cages.
Thank you so much for your help. When talking about a secure lid, I have a C&C cage that I bought from Guinea Pig Cages Store , they do sell lids there but are they secure enough? From what it looks like, it's a bunch of grids connected to the top of the cage, is that safe?

It looks it to me and besides they do have a cat on top modelling it 😂 you'll know when you erect it how it feels & you can use cable ties to secure further if needed to stop the sections being pushed over or disconnected. I haven't got a cat but hopefully someone on here may have & can give you more help on securing it. Let us know how you get on! X

Thank you so much for your help. When talking about a secure lid, I have a C&C cage that I bought from Guinea Pig Cages Store , they do sell lids there but are they secure enough? From what it looks like, it's a bunch of grids connected to the top of the cage, is that safe?
Yes C&C cage lids are usually the same grids as used for the sides, but I can see that the one in the pic (with the cat sitting on it) has a double layer of grids in the middle portion, presumably for extra support. My C&C is 3 grids wide, if I tried to make a lid of grids for it, it would start to sag in the middle without some other form of support, and be hard to move and keep in one piece.

My babysitter for my guinea pigs owns a cat. Even though I do have a top for my Midwest cage, the cat has never once tried attacking the piggies. Even during free playtime. But all cats are different. :)

I have a cat. We have a Ferplast cage (when the guineas were inside). Moses the cat is an extremely good hunter, and was fascinated by the guineas when we first got them (small, squeaky fast moving things that they were). He used to try to put a paw into the cage through the bars to poke the guineas and make them run. Now that the guineas have all grown up and matured (got fat), he is less interested but I still wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. We always always keep the lid on the cage. I'm not sure I'd trust him with a C&C cage to be honest, the lids never look secure enough to a determined hunter-cat.

Moses also has a Bengal friend, Simba. Whilst Moses is used to the (large fat slow moving) guineas, Simba thinks that they have been put in their run on the grass (in the summer! not right now, before anyone says anything....) for his sole pleasure. He will spend hours prancing up and down the run sides, and stalking the guineas. We've had to put some sides on the run to block them off from him, and also had the side effect of additional shade in last summer. When I've been putting the guineas out / taking them in, I have had some instances where I've literally turned around to put Guinea #1 in the transportation trug, turned back again and Simba has appeared from out of sight and is in the run with Guineas #2 3 and 4. Fortunately I was quick enough to grab Simba's tail (I'd never normally do this to a cat) and drag him out, but it was a very close call and not really one I'd like to repeat.

So cats and Guineas can be ok, but only with a secure top to your cage, and if your cat is a hunter-cat, never ever trust them with the guineas - all it can take is one moment of inattention and you have one less guinea.

Back