• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help please!

Blossomqueen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi ,
My guineas name is Hendrix , he’s 3.5 years old and I can’t really explain how scared I am for him. Right now I am going through a bit of trouble financially. I just had enough to get his teeth & nails clipped this month, not enough for a 100$ exam like I know he needs. They didn’t give me option for payment plans or anything I’ve tried everywhere in San Antonio.

He’s been not eating for five days , I’ve been having to force feed and I know it isn’t enough. He’s spitting his pellets back out and sneezing a lot , he is sleeping a lot and wonders very slowly . I’m worried . I can’t afford a vet right at this moment and I hate seeing him like this . My question is , is there anyways I can try to treat him myself I’ve googled different symptoms of his and it’s literally a numerous of things . He is sneezing, not eating , losing weight, low energy , sleeping, pushing my hand when I feed him, I don’t know what to do until I get paid ... I can’t lose him he’s my only friend . I always keep him well kept .... someone help

EJMA82

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sorry for what you are going through but he needs urgent vet attention. Sounds like a respiratory infection which can only be treated by a qualified vet. Is there anyone you could borrow some money from until you get paid? I hope Hendrix gets better soon xx

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh dear that is a sad story.
It's really important that pigs eat but you probably know this..when you say feed, are you syringe feeding Hendrix? It's just that you mention he is spitting his pellets out.
Please check out the thread on syringe feeding to help you. Your pig shouldn't need his teeth trimming unless he has a long term dental problem as the hay they eat grinds down the teeth.
I would encourage feeding by ensuring the veggies are cut very small and grating it too like carrot.

But the reality is he does need a vet, do you have family, someone who can help you financially?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ,
My guineas name is Hendrix , he’s 3.5 years old and I can’t really explain how scared I am for him. Right now I am going through a bit of trouble financially. I just had enough to get his teeth & nails clipped this month, not enough for a 100$ exam like I know he needs. They didn’t give me option for payment plans or anything I’ve tried everywhere in San Antonio.

He’s been not eating for five days , I’ve been having to force feed and I know it isn’t enough. He’s spitting his pellets back out and sneezing a lot , he is sleeping a lot and wonders very slowly . I’m worried . I can’t afford a vet right at this moment and I hate seeing him like this . My question is , is there anyways I can try to treat him myself I’ve googled different symptoms of his and it’s literally a numerous of things . He is sneezing, not eating , losing weight, low energy , sleeping, pushing my hand when I feed him, I don’t know what to do until I get paid ... I can’t lose him he’s my only friend . I always keep him well kept .... someone help
Hi! I am very sorry.

Why has Hendricks had his teeth clipped? The front teeth are self-sharpening if the whole dental system is balanced and don't need any clipping unless they back teeth are badly overgrown and are trapping the tongue. Not being able to chew and dropping hard feed is typical for overgrown teeth.
The sneezing could be from a respiratory infection or from food backing up his nose if you feed too much too quickly.
Apathy is the result of not eating enough because of pain or being unwell.

Only a vet can decide what is Hendrix' problem; there is no magic wand solution. :(

All you can do is step up the syringe feeding and hope for the best. Do not give him more than he can hold in his mouth and make sure that he has swallowed what you have given him.
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry you are going through this .
Hope you can find a good solution for Hendrix.
Did you ask the get about a payment plan?
I wasn’t quite sure whether they didn’t offer or wouldn’t agree to one.
Offering support