• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hideaways And Toys Vs. Open Space (in Cage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise&Winnie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there! I have two female guineas that are almost two years old. I use a large open dog pen (similar to a large dog cage with no top) and have pee pads and fleece on the ground for them. The cage is slightly smaller than the average C&C cage.

Anyways, I'm wondering: What is more important: having lots of hideaways and places to lounge OR having a lot of free space in the cage?

I have a wooden hideout, two litter boxes, a cuddle cup, a large tunnel, a grass hideaway ball, and an igloo in the cage at the moment. However, I do have another igloo and a slightly smaller tunnel. Should I keep what I have in there? Is it better that they have more open space than that they have a variety of hideouts?

I hold both of my guineas multiple times a day (they're the best comfort to have whilst at uni!) and I let the run around my room, though not every day because it's hard to keep them from chewing my shoes and certain chargers.

Thanks a bunch!

:wel:
Firstly welcome to the forum.
It's a good question, and one that I am never sure about either.
I think as long as they have a large open space or a 'race track' around the edge of the cage then that is fine when they need to run fast.
Plus if they get regular floor time that will also help, although they should have space to run in their cage because floor time doesn't always coincide with their lively times (at least not in my house!).
My rule when it comes to beds is that there should always be one more than the number of guinea pigs you have, so they always have a choice. But maybe that is just me.

Can you post a picture of you cage set up?
That might help people to offer advice about maximizing space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back