• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Holiday Query

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hope this is the right thread (it links to travel I suppose?). At the end of this week I'm going on holiday (sorry guys I post alot of worried holiday threads...) not abroad this time but taking a 'doggy' holiday to Wales! Now Mo is a pro now and us staying once again with my nan who had him numerous times now. She's not a piggy owner herself but I leave her with strict instructions and I did bring Mo over before I ever had him stay alone loads of times to show her the routine etc. They love him and my grandad dotes on him like he is a grandchild- often calling to ask how the 'hamster' or 'Oink Oink' as he affectionately calls him is.

Now obviously I'm nervous because once again I'm leaving my furbabies and though I am not abroad I'm still not close if something bad was to happen.

What I'm really really worried about is that it's Steve's first time and my grandparents do own parrots that make noise. Mo adjusted fine and isn't really bothered by them but I am anxious for Steve he isn't as confident as Mo and I don't want him to get to scared and die of shock. I know it sounds stupid but yesterday I played the a parrot squawking on YouTube and Steve froze and chattered but then so did Mo.

I'm also nervous that my boys will fight when I'm away. Theyre going in their cage and taking their usual bedding, toys, food etc so do I need to fear this? The only thing new is the house,noises and people.

Thank you all.

Mo got used to the change and I am sure Steve will too. Your Grandparents sound very sensible people and I am sure the piggys will be fine. If Mo and Steve are a bit nervous at first they could put a towel or blanket over half the cage, I find that helps. When I was younger I was like you and thought of every thing that could go wrong in every situation, I don't think any of the things I worried about ever happened, stop worrying, enjoy your holiday.

I'm away at the moment and was so so worried that my pigs would fight in the boarding as they are in a new hutch. I brought along some smelly cuddly toys for them etc and the lady has text me with updates saying they're getting on well and happy- no fighting! So I'm sure your pigs will be fine. I'm terrible though I worry so much- I'm sure your grandparents would call you if they were very concerned- just leave them with some emergency vet numbers as well for the worst case scenario- which won't happen!

In my living room where my piggies live there is a clock on the wall which has a different bird (real) sings every hour. The sound is louder when there is much light... you can imagine the noise of the owl at 6 p.m. when the sun light comes from the window and goes directly towards the clock!
Also my guests risk an heart attack if they are here at 6! When my piggies came home they were shy and scared... and the owl made his job...
But my piggies after some days learnt that there were no predators into the room...
therefore: don't worry at all of the parrots and about the cares of your grandparents, don't worry, too. I agree about leaving them the number of some emergency vet.

In my living room where my piggies live there is a clock on the wall which has a different bird (real) sings every hour. The sound is louder when there is much light... you can imagine the noise of the owl at 6 p.m. when the sun light comes from the window and goes directly towards the clock!
Also my guests risk an heart attack if they are here at 6! When my piggies came home they were shy and scared... and the owl made his job...
But my piggies after some days learnt that there were no predators into the room...
therefore: don't worry at all of the parrots and about the cares of your grandparents, don't worry, too. I agree about leaving them the number of some emergency vet.
I'm away at the moment and was so so worried that my pigs would fight in the boarding as they are in a new hutch. I brought along some smelly cuddly toys for them etc and the lady has text me with updates saying they're getting on well and happy- no fighting! So I'm sure your pigs will be fine. I'm terrible though I worry so much- I'm sure your grandparents would call you if they were very concerned- just leave them with some emergency vet numbers as well for the worst case scenario- which won't happen!
Mo got used to the change and I am sure Steve will too. Your Grandparents sound very sensible people and I am sure the piggys will be fine. If Mo and Steve are a bit nervous at first they could put a towel or blanket over half the cage, I find that helps. When I was younger I was like you and thought of every thing that could go wrong in every situation, I don't think any of the things I worried about ever happened, stop worrying, enjoy your holiday.

Thanks guys I feel a lot better about leaving them now. I'm sure as you said Steve will adjust to Bill's (the parrot that is lol) squawks - I mean he adjusted to Mo flattening him! And that's great to hear that your two boys are getting along so that's took a great weight off my shoulders. Phew! X

Back