• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

twolittlenoses

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello! so i am new here and this is my first post thread thingy, and i was wondering if someone could give me some advide on what to do with guinea pig smells. my guinea pigs live in my room, but they wont be able to for much longer if the smell continues like this. i really love having them here, but i cant bear the smell anymore! i change their liner every 2 days, spot clean twice a day, keep their food and hay and treats and toys etc contained, but they are still quite smelly. i stay clear of air fresheners, purifiers, candles etc as i dont want it to hurt their delicate lungs. if anyone has any tips or advice, i would really apprechiate it :)

Is it a piggy smell or a urine smell? i note you say liners, so I’m assuming it’s got the absorbent layer already stitched in - is it wicking and working properly?

What sex are your piggies? If they are boars then cleaning too often can actually make them smell worse - over cleaning can cause then to scent mark more making the smell worse

Hello and welcome. Guinea pigs shouldn’t really smell. Are they boys or girls? Boys tend to scent mark more than girls so can be a little more smelly but the smell shouldn’t be over powering. What do they smell of exactly?

My piggies live in my room with me, too!
Although I am not bothered by their smell at all, I use an air filter in my room. It makes my room smell completely normal. They work great, are safe for piggies, and even create a breeze on hot days!

Back