• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Human Products For Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggiekisses

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've heard that there are some human products that are safe on piggies, and I wanted to know which ones they are and what it's used for. I am starting a first aid kit for my piggy and am wondering what kind of creams or ointments are safe for a skinny pig, in case of a scratch or something.
Also, are there products for their eyes in case of hay pokes or what not?
When needed, would I have to use vitamin c pellets especially for small animals?
Lastly, I'd like to know of any good natural shampoos for skinny pigs here in Canada?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've heard that there are some human products that are safe on piggies, and I wanted to know which ones they are and what it's used for. I am starting a first aid kit for my piggy and am wondering what kind of creams or ointments are safe for a skinny pig, in case of a scratch or something.
Also, are there products for their eyes in case of hay pokes or what not?
When needed, would I have to use vitamin c pellets especially for small animals?
Lastly, I'd like to know of any good natural shampoos for skinny pigs here in Canada?

Thanks!

Hi! These are our recommendations for a first aid kit: First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
Unfortunately, many of the human products have turned out to not be safe, so we had to remove them from our list.
Please stay off pet shop broad spectrum antiparasite products; they are too low dosed for an acute outbreak and but high enough to lead to resistence if applied regularly as a prevention. :(

Any eye injuries need to be seen by a vet, ideally as promptly as possible; otherwise, it can ultimately lead to the loss of the eye if an infection gets into it. You just don't have the equipment to judge how bad an injury/infection is that a vet has.
Please be aware that you and your family (if you are a minor) need to save up a bit on a weekly basis to be able to pay for vet care at any time, as illness and emergencies NEVER happen at a convenient time, and it can lead to lots of distress and tension for the whole family whenever this happens, especially if the pet dies due to not being seen in time. Appropriate vet care is one of the basic animal rights.

You can use human vitamin C tablets (about 1/8 -1/4) in an emergency for a shorter term safely if you need to boost the immune system during or after an illness, but if you can get hold of oxbow vitamin C tablets, that would be better.

The best shampoos for guinea pig skin are gorgeous guineas ones; they are UK based, but post their products worldwide.
Gorgeous Guineas - Aromatherapy skincare products for guinea pigs
@helen105281 can advise you on further skinny skin care.
Here are our skinny threads: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/caring-for-skinny-guinea-pigs.38166/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/skinny-pigs-and-clothes.122798/

Do just have a single piggy? Please be aware that guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live without any interaction with their own kind for the long term.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners
Companionship

Hi! These are our recommendations for a first aid kit: First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs
Unfortunately, many of the human products have turned out to not be safe, so we had to remove them from our list.
Please stay off pet shop broad spectrum antiparasite products; they are too low dosed for an acute outbreak and but high enough to lead to resistence if applied regularly as a prevention. :(

Any eye injuries need to be seen by a vet, ideally as promptly as possible; otherwise, it can ultimately lead to the loss of the eye if an infection gets into it. You just don't have the equipment to judge how bad an injury/infection is that a vet has.
Please be aware that you and your family (if you are a minor) need to save up a bit on a weekly basis to be able to pay for vet care at any time, as illness and emergencies NEVER happen at a convenient time, and it can lead to lots of distress and tension for the whole family whenever this happens, especially if the pet dies due to not being seen in time. Appropriate vet care is one of the basic animal rights.

You can use human vitamin C tablets (about 1/8 -1/4) in an emergency for a shorter term safely if you need to boost the immune system during or after an illness, but if you can get hold of oxbow vitamin C tablets, that would be better.

The best shampoos for guinea pig skin are gorgeous guineas ones; they are UK based, but post their products worldwide.
Gorgeous Guineas - Aromatherapy skincare products for guinea pigs
@helen105281 can advise you on further skinny skin care.
Here are our skinny threads: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/caring-for-skinny-guinea-pigs.38166/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/skinny-pigs-and-clothes.122798/

Do just have a single piggy? Please be aware that guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live without any interaction with their own kind for the long term.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners
Companionship

Thanks, very helpful :) I don't think I've optrex eyes wash in Canada , is that a human product as well?
He is sadly a lone piggy for now, as we await for his spayed sister soon.

I want to turn the thread title around and ask "what guinea pig products are ok for humans?" I just looked at those shampoos and they sound amazing! I want to use them!

Haha great question! I'd also love an answer.

Thanks, very helpful :) I don't think I've optrex eyes wash in Canada , is that a human product as well?
He is sadly a lone piggy for now, as we await for his spayed sister soon.

Optrex eye wash is a human product, but you can use saline solution instead - it is mildly disinfecting.
Here is some product information if you want to look for a comparable brand. Optrex - Experts in eye care

I don't tend to bath my sknnies unless they have fungal and then I just use Imaverol dip as it is gentle. I do sometimes use a baby wipe if they have sat on newspaper and are a bit grubby. If they have dry skin I use a spray called Humilac which I get from the vets or online. Not sure if it is available in Canada though.

I don't tend to bath my sknnies unless they have fungal and then I just use Imaverol dip as it is gentle. I do sometimes use a baby wipe if they have sat on newspaper and are a bit grubby. If they have dry skin I use a spray called Humliac which I get from the vets or online. Not sure if it is available in Canada though.

Thanks! I will have to try those out. I'm just wanting to clean him up a bit since he's starting to smell.

Imaverol contains enilconazole as active ingredient; it is a fairly mild fungicidal shampoo that is gentle enough even around sensitive areas like mouth/nose/eyes/ears; it is at the same time one of the most effective treatments against ringworm.
It is not cheap, but with guinea pigs it goes quite a long way as the dilution is 1 : 50 parts of water. I think it may be available in Canada. I would recommend to research the availability, but at that price only order it if you are faced with a fungal complaint.

I don't tend to bath my sknnies unless they have fungal and then I just use Imaverol dip as it is gentle. I do sometimes use a baby wipe if they have sat on newspaper and are a bit grubby. If they have dry skin I use a spray called Humilac which I get from the vets or online. Not sure if it is available in Canada though.

How would I know if a piggy has fungal or ringworm? I figure this is good info to know just in case.

None of my skinnies have actually had fungal yet (but they did have preventative treatment with Imaverol when the other members of the herd had fungal). It can be caused by numerous things like excess humidity, mouldy hay, damp etc. I once thought Katie had fungal as she had a white crust on her but on further examination of a skin scrape under the microscope at the vets, we saw a squished mite.

None of my skinnies have actually had fungal yet (but they did have preventative treatment with Imaverol when the other members of the herd had fungal). It can be caused by numerous things like excess humidity, mouldy hay, damp etc. I once thought Katie had fungal as she had a white crust on her but on further examination of a skin scrape under the microscope at the vets, we saw a squished mite.

All very helpful info ! I hope Katie is doing well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back