• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha thank you for your kind words, after what came out of his bum I'm tempted to give him back :))

I managed to keep myself from being sick on the poor lad, by not eating for 8 hours before XD
You can't miss the smell of abscess - or ever mistake it again! :yikes:

Please top up with syringe feed and probiotics.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
You can't miss the smell of abscess - or ever mistake it again! :yikes:

Please top up with syringe feed and probiotics. The baytril dosage is still very low. A 1 kg guinea pig can have 0.4 ml of baytril twice daily. How much is your boy?
Yes he's way too light at roughly 550grams, half the size of Tonks (1 kg) who had 0.4 when she had her urine infection.

I'll order that now, thanks!

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Second course of treatment today, lots of pus still coming out of his bottom. He's very sad piggy but he's being really good.

He's also lost a lot of weight again (around 100g), the critical care should be coming tomorrow which I'll mix in with pellets. How much should I give and how many times a day?

He's not drinking much water so I've given him some via syringe, I was worried about his pain so have split his metacam into half doses twice a day as I read that on another thread.

I'm still really worried about him, can anyone advise what more I could do?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I've given him a syringe with pellets and water after his meds this morning, I didn't know how much to give but gave a syringe and a half. Is that okay?

I don't know how often to do it, as I've got a day off today I want to give him all my attention and try to get some more weight back on him.

Are Petkin small animal wipes okay to use around his bottom? Where I'm flushing his anus his bottom smells something rotten, as his treatment is so traumatic already I don't want to go giving him a bath yet. There's not much point until the pus is gone anyway.

I hope I'm flushing his bottom properly, I need to get all that pus out or the antibiotics won't work and I'm so worried that he's not getting better. I'm so out of my depth here :(

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If he is not eating at all you need to syringe feed him as much as he will take. I used to feed my girl 20mls of food each feed and fed her at least twice a day, usually 3 times.
Is he eating at all for himself?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If he is not eating at all you need to syringe feed him as much as he will take. I used to feed my girl 20mls of food each feed and fed her at least twice a day, usually 3 times.
Is he eating at all for himself?
Thanks for your reply!

He is eating, not many pellets as far as I can tell but he likes his new hay. Won't eat the alfalfa hay I got him though :mal:

He's eating his veggies too but he's still lost weight. When I weighed him yesterday he was at 453 grams :(

I'm currently waiting for CC and pro biotics to arrive which I hope will help... I'm not that sure how much to give and how often though?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Is this the lad who was peeing out of his bottom.
Yes, I'm still not sure on that front. My vet suggested getting his infection under control a bit and then possibly have some scans to see what sort of damage could have been done during his previous neuter.

Honestly he's such a good boy but he's so poorly, sometimes just looking at him makes me want to cry because I haven't made him better yet lol. I know it's silly.

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If he is losing weight then you need to feed him as much as you can to keep him going and to keep the weight on him. I always used crushed up pellets mixed with water as my girl didn't take to the critical care. I managed to keep her weight fairly stable by syringe feeding (didn't put weight on but didn't lose much more). You need to try and feed 90mls a day for a piggy who isn't really eating so you may want to adjust if he is eating by himself (each feed usually around 10-20mls depending on how much the piggy will take). I would say with him being so small you would need to feed at least 3 times per day, more if you can. It is hard work with the ones who struggle which is why I used her normal pellets as she loved them and snatched the syringe off me rather than refusing it.
This is the syringe feeding guide Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
He will get better with your lovely care. How comes you couldn't get him sooner, then it would have been easier to get on top of the infection. Keep doing what your doing, has the vet got any idea on recovery time. Is he going to be a husboar. I am having all sorts of problems getting mine matched. Once you can get some food & water in him he will pick.Good luck. Although you won't need it.
I had a new hamster for about 4 weeks & I thought he had wind or it was a defensive trick. I turned him over & he had a foul load of pus. We don't know whether it's bladder or womb. He was a bad tempered hammy 2 days into his treatment & he hasn't bit me since.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If he is losing weight then you need to feed him as much as you can to keep him going and to keep the weight on him. I always used crushed up pellets mixed with water as my girl didn't take to the critical care. I managed to keep her weight fairly stable by syringe feeding (didn't put weight on but didn't lose much more). You need to try and feed 90mls a day for a piggy who isn't really eating so you may want to adjust if he is eating by himself (each feed usually around 10-20mls depending on how much the piggy will take). I would say with him being so small you would need to feed at least 3 times per day, more if you can. It is hard work with the ones who struggle which is why I used her normal pellets as she loved them and snatched the syringe off me rather than refusing it.
This is the syringe feeding guide Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thanks for your reply!

I shall do that, I work full time so 3 feeds a day might be tricky but I could do one in the morning, one as soon as I get home and one about midnight?

He's not a fan of the pellet mix I made, perhaps it's the wrong consistancy so I'll keep practicing. I hope he'll take the CC to boost him up a bit, along side the pro biotic.

Do you know if there are good wipes to use?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
He will get better with your lovely care. How comes you couldn't get him sooner, then it would have been easier to get on top of the infection. Keep doing what your doing, has the vet got any idea on recovery time. Is he going to be a husboar. I am having all sorts of problems getting mine matched. Once you can get some food & water in him he will pick.Good luck. Although you won't need it.
I had a new hamster for about 4 weeks & I thought he had wind or it was a defensive trick. I turned him over & he had a foul load of pus. We don't know whether it's bladder or womb. He was a bad tempered hammy 2 days into his treatment & he hasn't bit me since.
Thank you for your kind words, I couldn't get him any sooner unfortunately. They thought they were doing right by him and didn't realise there was still infection :(

No clue on recovery time yet, this is a bit unusual so will just have to play it by ear which is hard.

He will be a husboar! Hopefully! We've got a long road to recovery but hopefully they will accept each other when the time comes. I hate bonding, I'm a bag of nerves!

Poor little hammy, hope he feels better soon!

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
He will get better, tell me how he gets on being a husboar at the moment I'm getting mixed signals. Like you I worry with the bonding.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
He will get better, tell me how he gets on being a husboar at the moment I'm getting mixed signals. Like you I worry with the bonding.
I will! Probably won't be for a few weeks/months yet I'd imagine.

I'm sure your boy will be fine! I'd imagine as long as blood isn't drawn then that's a good sign :) Have you got anyone to help? Sometimes I have to take a step back haha.

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Oh goodness what a challenging time you are having. Sounds like you are on a steep learning curve. He is a very lucky boy to have such dedicated love and care.

Hope he gets abscess free very soon.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh goodness what a challenging time you are having. Sounds like you are on a steep learning curve. He is a very lucky boy to have such dedicated love and care.

Hope he gets abscess free very soon.
Thank you very much, I hope it works! If love cured everything he'd be better by now, I'm totally smitten!

Yea it's a bit of a nightmare. What ever is wrong with him is deep inside his bottom, I'm not even 100% sure it's an abscess because we can't feel anything or see anything.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I think you are doing an amazing job.
I know how difficult it is when you take on an animal that is already ill too.

If it was me I probably wouldn't use pet wipes to clean him, as they often contain alcohol which might be drying or sting a bit.
Could you use an old face cloth soaked in some warm water and a bit of guinea shampoo?