• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

If bond has failed what next

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys- firstly can I just say thank you to everyone who has helped me over on my previous thread regarding my beloved Steve it is honestly amazing to see how he is today. So much brighter and basically his normal self. He is ever so slightly pissed about the lack of veges... so far I’ve only been brave enough to give a finger nail slice of carrot today and a small corner of a lettuce yesterday.

My question today is, if it is apparent and remains apparent that my two boys will not get along what next? Now Steve is back basically to normality (6 days now since the bloat was diagnosed and about three since he stopped sounding like a water balloon) I figured they might be a little more relaxed with each other. I cleaned both cages out today and set them out for floor time while I did to see (in a neutral space etc). Immediately, Steve puffs up chattering and circling and going straight for Bellamy. What is more surprising is Bellamy actually retaliates (which he has never done before he is a very passive piggy). He also chatters and yawns and huffs. In the end I put Bellamy in the lid of the cage to see if they calmed down now that they can only smell and see each other not actually get at one another. But the chattering/yawning etc was nonstop. I’m not giving up and will likely try again in another few days but figured I’d query in case this is the outcome - at least both are healthy.

Because I have dogs, it is unrealistic to have them on the floor next to each other and I don’t have a cupboard/table that would allow this either. I keep them in my bedroom because I frequent it so they aren’t lonely and because the dogs stay out (And if they do ever enter the pigs are high enough off the ground).

At the moment I have the cages stacked on top of one another so they can smell each other I guess and hear one another but not see each other. Is this enough interaction? And if they can’t go back together is it going to be alright to get another boy to pair with one or is the bond not going to work because of the fact they’ll smell the boy in the cage above/below?

Thanks again :)

I’m sure somebody more experienced will be along soon but from what I’ve read on other posts just hearing each other isn’t enough. They need to be next to each other for mutual stimulation through seeing and hearing their next door cage mate. Sorry I can’t be of more help and it’s such a shame when they don’t get along. The forum have been a great help and support system for me with my two boys. Boars can be quite tricky during their teenage years!

It sounds like their bond has failed and trying again will likely only result in the same outcome.
They need to be next to each other so they can have full interaction through the bars. Being in stacked is not good enough for them.
You can bond them both with another piggy. Being bonded with another boar will not affect the other pairs relationship. What you can’t do is bond one with a boar and one with a sow, because the presence of a sow will affect the boar pairs relationship. Or neuter them both and bond them both with a sow each.

It sounds like their bond has failed and trying again will likely only result in the same outcome.
They need to be next to each other so they can have full interaction through the bars. Being in stacked is not good enough for them.
You can bond them both with another piggy. Being bonded with another boar will not affect the other pairs relationship. What you can’t do is bond one with a boar and one with a sow, because the presence of a sow will affect the boar pairs relationship. Or neuter them both and bond them both with a sow each.
Thank you I knew it wouldn’t be enough but figured I’d try. It’s such a shame because they were so bonded before, but I’m just thankful Steve pulled through- the fact he has turned into a killing machine is good I guess haha.

Yes I’d get a boy for both of them because surgery SCARES me. Haha yes I’m a wuss about having them go under (despite the fact I would’ve put Steve under had there been a stone). Just wanted to check that the chance of getting them to bond with another boy wouldn’t mess up due to them both being still in same room.

I am glad he is feeling better now.

No, two separate pairs of boys would not cause problems for the other pair.

I am glad he is feeling better now.

No, two separate pairs of boys would not cause problems for the other pair.

Think I jinxed it to be honest because I’ve just found a small lump on him now. 😒 bloody guinea pigs worry me to death

It's such a shame your boys won't go back together. Having 2 pairs stacked shouldn't be a problem @Jesse's pigs I've got three stacked! Once they get used to hearing each other they are fine. They take an interest in the ground floor boys at floor time, they interact through the bars and enjoy seeing each other.

To clarify when I said being in stacked cages isn’t good enough, I meant while the piggies are single. They need to be able to see each other to stave off loneliness while they are single. Once they have another friend each, then being in stacked cages doesn’t matter

To clarify when I said being in stacked cages isn’t good enough, I meant while the piggies are single. They need to be able to see each other to stave off loneliness while they are single. Once they have another friend each, then being in stacked cages doesn’t matter
Oh don’t worrry I understood what you said and appreciate your help 😊☺️ I suspected it was the case but wanted to prove that I wasn’t just being greedy and getting more lol

It's such a shame your boys won't go back together. Having 2 pairs stacked shouldn't be a problem @Jesse's pigs I've got three stacked! Once they get used to hearing each other they are fine. They take an interest in the ground floor boys at floor time, they interact through the bars and enjoy seeing each other.
Thanks for your reply xx it really is but deep down I think Steve was overall a bit too bossy for Bellamy- at least Mo was just as sassy and gave back as much as he got lol

Whatever you decide is the right for you and your boys I wish you and the boys well. Happy boars living together is so rewarding, they have such funny little ways.

Back