• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm changing from shavings to fleece soon, I'm new to fleece bedding so I'd like advice on what the best fleece and absorbant material

PandaBaird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I'm moving house soon and I'd like to switch to fleece bedding for my 4 girls to keep any smell to a minumum and also because it looks nice, they're going to be in one of the spare rooms or maybe even the kitchen, I'm going to put their run on top of a raised platform so they're not on the floor and closer to eye level, it will be like the shape of a dining table roughly 170cm by 90cm and around waist length off the floor with a lino surface and CC cages surrounding it, so I've been looking up the basics and it looks like you're supposed to have 3 layers one fleece on top then absorbant pads in the middle and then something else on the bottom like another fleece is that right?

Also I saw some people use vet bed instead of anti pill fleece are there any particular reasons to choose one over the other?
For the absorbant layer I'd prefer to use something washable rather than puppy pads or newspapers
So it seems some of the most common absorbant layers are uhaul pads (but it doesn't look like we have them in the UK unless their called something different) zorb which seems to expensive but worth it so I don't mind doing that if it's definately a good investment long term, and matress toppers but I'm not really sure what they are they sort of look quite thick on Google but maybe I'm looking up the wrong thing, so what would be the best lineup to go for the least amount of smell?
I don't have a sewing machine but I could try doing it by hand if it's better off having them sewn together, also is any kind of handheld vaccuum ok to do spot cleaning with or does it have to be a specific type because it's picking up poop?

Thanks

hi,i use fleece liners and vet bed.vetbed is way softer,you need an under layer,i use washable puppypads from vetfleece .i use a black and decker handheld hoover to pick up mess,twice aday.use cat litter trays to put disposable bedding in,then hay on top.change the hay daily. ziggypiggies online makes excellent fleece liners at very good costings.it is alot for the initial layout,but you will offset that cost within 2 to 3 months of not buying so much disposable bedding.everyone has there own preferences.goodluck !:nod:

Going down the route of ready made such as Ziggys piggies for liners is always a good idea if you don’t have a sewing machine. It is unlikely to work doing it by hand, plus you need to change fleece every 3-4 days really so you need quite a few liners so it will be Quite a lot of hand sewing,

It’s a mattress protector (waterproof) you need, not a mattress topper.

My pigs are outside in a shed so I use mostly hay for them, but during the summer in the hutch and in the shed I use fleece . Because it’s only for a few months, I don’t have proper liners and instead I just put down a mattress protector and then lay the fleece on top. They aren’t sewn together but given mine isn’t used permamently I don’t mind it being a bit more of a hassle!

I'm new to this, been using fleece for one week! I use microfiber sheet for the base and 100% polyester fleece. I don't have a sewing machine and I did have to cut some shapes with the microfiber which took hours... But its done now.
I'm glad I switched because storing wood shavings takes up room, it fills the bin too quickly and then there's the expense as well.

We have VetFleece (very similar to VetBed, but cheaper!) with the VetFleece brand Inconti-Pet washable absorbant puppy mat underneath. So just 2 layers. Very adsorbant, no smells, and washes very well! All bought from Amazon. We change it twice a week.

We have VetFleece (very similar to VetBed, but cheaper!) with the VetFleece brand Inconti-Pet washable absorbant puppy mat underneath. So just 2 layers. Very adsorbant, no smells, and washes very well! All bought from Amazon. We change it twice a week.
I have been using disposable puppy pads in my hutch but they have proved very expensive, more so than washable ones which I didn't know even existed until now. Will be buying these when my Paypal fund is a bit healthier! They are the same price on ebay as Amazon.

The VetFleece Inconti-Pet washable mats are brilliant, absorb 3 or 4 days of pee from 5 piggies no problem and don't feel damp at all... until you shake them hard to get the hay off and then there can be a bit of "splashback" so its best to shake them outside with your face turned the other way!

The VetFleece Inconti-Pet washable mats are brilliant, absorb 3 or 4 days of pee from 5 piggies no problem and don't feel damp at all... until you shake them hard to get the hay off and then there can be a bit of "splashback" so its best to shake them outside with your face turned the other way!
:vom:Thanks! I'll remember that!

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for I'll look those up :)

Just bought 4 of these on your recommendation @PigglePuggle.

Can you put hay on top of it? At the moment, I put hay on top of the puppy pads and replace them everyday. And I consume loads of puppy pads in a month.

Can you put hay on top of it? At the moment, I put hay on top of the puppy pads and replace them everyday. And I consume loads of puppy pads in a month.
We have Vetfleece on top of ours but they should be fine with hay on, they are smooth so the hay doesnt really stick at all- might need changing a bit more often without an absorbant fleece layer...

We have Vetfleece on top of ours but they should be fine with hay on, they are smooth so the hay doesnt really stick at all- might need changing a bit more often without an absorbant fleece layer...
Thank you. I'll buy this and see for myself. At the moment, I'm putting a thin layer of paper bedding on top of the puppy pads so that I don't have to replace it as often, probably every 3 or 4 days depending on how long they stay on their other run under the rattan chair at the other side of the living room. It also stops Cookie eating the puppy pads while munching on hay at the same time! Puppy pads is good and easy but it's adding up too much expense because my flipping piggies can't stop pooping and peeing a bit..haha.

We have paper bedding (kaytee clean and cosy) in half the cage where the piggies eat and poop most and that brushes or shakes off the inconti-pet mat fine too :)

Ooh - I'm very interested in the washable puppy pads
Training Pads

I currently use disposable puppy pads and these look much more environmentally friendly

Thanks for the advice I've ordered the pads and fleece, so what does everyone use to wash theirs any particular brand that I can purchase and how much of it do you add and what temperature? Also I've seen you can add white vinegar to help odor do you put that in the detergent tray or the fabric softener tray? I've also seen some people add a tiny bit of bleach how often do you do that like every other wash or something?

Back