• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm Trying To Get My Guinea Pig To Eat After Surgery Plz Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilybxx22

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just over a week ago my guinea pig willow stopped eating. We took her too the vets and she went in for an op. Her back teeth were really sharp as she has a unusually curved jaw. Her back teeth were filed down and we were given some recovery mix to give her using a syringe. She didnt seem to want this so we took her back a couple of days later and they gave us some pain relief for her. Took her back yesterday aswell as she sounded kind of flemmy (sp?). Turns out she has a chest infection and we were given antibiotics for her. The vet told us to take her off the pain killers. Its been a week since her op and she still wont eat normally. We have tried soaking her normal food so its soft and mushing up lettice. We have also tried baby food. Shes still on the critical care food. Any ideas?
Thanks

Just over a week ago my guinea pig willow stopped eating. We took her too the vets and she went in for an op. Her back teeth were really sharp as she has a unusually curved jaw. Her back teeth were filed down and we were given some recovery mix to give her using a syringe. She didnt seem to want this so we took her back a couple of days later and they gave us some pain relief for her. Took her back yesterday aswell as she sounded kind of flemmy (sp?). Turns out she has a chest infection and we were given antibiotics for her. The vet told us to take her off the pain killers. Its been a week since her op and she still wont eat normally. We have tried soaking her normal food so its soft and mushing up lettice. We have also tried baby food. Shes still on the critical care food. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi and welcome!

Guinea pigs do not usually eat striaght away after dental treatment as their mouth is very painful. it usually take more than one round of dentals to rebalance the the dental system.

Please continue to syringe feed. Up to 80% of the food intake should be fibre. If your piggy doesn't like your brand of recovery food, try Critical Care fine grind or mix your brand with mushed pellets. You may need to prep the syringe tip as shown in the guide. The guide also has got a section on caring for dental guinea pigs.
Please be also aware that URI and antibiotics are additional appetite dampeners.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

How piggy and dental savvy is your vet and where are you located?

Thank you!
We were given a big syringe for the critical care for her both times we went. But given the small ones for her anitbiotics. The vet gave us 3 of the small syringes so i might try one of those for her critical care as she seems to prefer them.
I'm not sure how experienced they are with this kind of thing but as we went back so many times we saw 3 different vets. Her front teeth are also on a slant so i dont know if that would make any difference to her eating.
I might go back and ask for the critial care fine grind as it may be easier to get in the syringe.
I'm also in south wales

The vets also didnt say anything about further dental treatment

Thank you!
We were given a big syringe for the critical care for her both times we went. But given the small ones for her anitbiotics. The vet gave us 3 of the small syringes so i might try one of those for her critical care as she seems to prefer them.
I'm not sure how experienced they are with this kind of thing but as we went back so many times we saw 3 different vets. Her front teeth are also on a slant so i dont know if that would make any difference to her eating.
I might go back and ask for the critial care fine grind as it may be easier to get in the syringe.
I'm also in south wales

Her front teeth being on a slant means that there is overgrowth on one side on her molars, most like due to some kind of pain issue. Front teeth are self-sharpening if all is well.

We might be able to help you better if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear with every every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice to what is available, doable and relevant where you are straight away. We have members and enquiries from all over the world. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back