• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Incense Around Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumbling-bambi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Myself and my partner both absolutely love to burn a little bit of incense to keep our house smelling nice! Now we haven't done so since we got our piglets because we couldn't find anything online to say if it was safe or not - so seeing as I've joined this forum i thought you would be the best people to ask!

I have two very happy and healthy boars that live in the largest and most ventilated room in the house - Do you think it would be safe? Everything we burn is 100% natural as i don't like the fake stuff! Before i would burn one stick once every week or so, so that the house smelt nice but the smell didnt linger too strongly and smoke was kept at a minimum!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hmm. Hmm. I'd say any smoke around piggies is bad, but if it was by a window far from their cage? Tricky decision, really, I'm always paranoid about anything like perfume or air fresheners:hmm:

Usually i would burn it in our bedroom in the window cil so the smell stays but the smoke doesn't! I get worried about air fresheners too! Mine seem to quite like my perfume - but I've never handled them directly after putting some on so xD But I'm thinking the only way to find out is to test it? maybe burn just a little bit and then leave it a few days and monitor them for any reactions?

True - i might give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. If i shut the door to their room the smoke shouldn't get to them and they should be ok! But i will monitor them closely! they are seeing their vet soon for a check up anyway so in the worst case scenario they will see the vet next week - or sooner should they need it!

I burn it. I have a large living room and haven't noticed any reaction from the piggles. It's not near the cage but the smell fills the room.

Thank you :) I think i'll just give it a go and see if they react in anyway :) I don't think they will but just to be safe :)

You'll just find them chilled out and sitting in the lotus position :)

I would advise you to be careful using anything scented close to your guinea pigs .

The only recent threads I can find are these ....

Is Incense Bad For My Pibs?

Is Air Freshener Safe For Pigs?

I recall Cavy Corner had a problem recently when a new volunteer came wearing perfume .

However, your home is your home too ( as well as the Guineas' home ). Is there any way you could burn your incense in a different room to the Guineas?

There is a difference with the material that is being burned. Natural incense isn't the same as artificial scents, which I personally cannot tolerate...no plugins or scented candles for me! I can't tolerate some perfumes either. My piggies have to put up with the smell of my cooking :)

I used to have a trio of guinea pigs in my bedroom where I burned at least two incense sticks a day with no obvious ill effects.

It's a categorical NO for guinea pigs! If you love to burn incense, please do so in a different room than your guinea are in or move your guinea pigs out for the duration and then bring them back once you have aired the room; they require unpolluted fresh air.

Guinea pigs have a comparatively small and very sensitive respiratory tract. Strong perfumes, perfumed air fresheners and incense should be absolutely avoided. Please also be aware that what is fine for humans in terms of perfume is not necessarily fine for guinea pigs. In some cases even perfumed skin products can cause allergic reactions (sneezing and raspy breathing), biting or they can give off misleading pheromones. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back