• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maisy&Daisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just created an account this minute as I really need your advice. (she has been to the vets lots of times for this)
My 4yr old pig Maisy has ovarian cysts. She had surgery to remove everything but stopped breathing when the anaesthetic was given. So they stopped before they took anything out (but they had cut her open and seen the cysts). This was in October and she recovered well.

Then she stopped eating just before Christmas, I took her to her vets and he seemed to think she was coming to the end of her life. But wanted to try treating for infection just in case and cave me baytril and metacam. (surgery or hormones are not an option for her anymore) After a week she really perked up (Saturday) , most of the time she sits on her heat pad with her sister. But she does come out to eat a little and play/run around although she has lost alot of weight and is very frail.
But today, she's not fully herself, she is sleeping puffed up (although still on pain relief) but she has came out on her own for a little run around. she has also started with bad diarrhea.
I will take her to the vets again tomorrow. But I know they're going to prompt me to make a decision (of euthanasia).
Obviously this is really difficult, especially because I'm still seeing glimpses of her cheeky self. Does anyone have any thoughts they could share with me? Thankyou so much ❤️

I don't think she's coming to the end of life, I've had a pig go to 7 and that's not even the oldest, people on here have had 8 and 9 year old guinea pigs, I atleast expect mine to live to late 5 or 6. Has she had a dental check up? With a good vet who's knows what they are looking out for?

Are you able to give her Critical Care if she's not really eating much? :( I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Keep us posted on the vet visit. I hope it is not the end for her, try to stay positive. I feel as though there is hope for her. It is never an easy decision though. :(

Sending you hugs at this difficult time. You know your piggie best and I think you will know if she has come to the end of her life x

It's a very hard decision to make.. had to do it twice now but hopefully you wont have to but you know your piggy best..sending hugs

Are you able to give her Critical Care if she's not really eating much? :( I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Keep us posted on the vet visit. I hope it is not the end for her, try to stay positive. I feel as though there is hope for her. It is never an easy decision though. :(
She has had some critical care, but she will still eat some pellets and hay. I feel because she's been so ill for so long now that she's been syringe fed medicine and CC, and if it's nearing the end for her I want her to be comfortable rather than force fed. I hope this makes sense. I will talk it though with her vet too. Thankyou for your reply
❤️

I don't think she's coming to the end of life, I've had a pig go to 7 and that's not even the oldest, people on here have had 8 and 9 year old guinea pigs, I atleast expect mine to live to late 5 or 6. Has she had a dental check up? With a good vet who's knows what they are looking out for?
She has had a full check up and I chose her vets because they have a small furry section and are on the rabbit/gp friendly vets list.
❤️ I have had pigs live to an old age, but they didn't have untreatable ovarian cysts like Maisy x

She has had a full check up and I chose her vets because they have a small furry section and are on the rabbit/gp friendly vets list.
❤ I have had pigs live to an old age, but they didn't have untreatable ovarian cysts like Maisy x
I'm sorry I didn't realise It was untreatable 😔

Back